Coronavirus Concerns Causing Cancellations, Postponements, Suspended Play Across Sports
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Coronavirus concerns and players’ infection of COVID-19 continue to cause cancellations, postponements, and suspension of play across multiple leagues and sports.
Leagues including the NBA, NCAA, MLS, and others have had games impacted by coronavirus concerns in recent days.
These are some of the major sporting events affected by coronavirus:
- Warriors close home games to fans
- Utah Jazz vs. Oklahoma City Thunder postponed
- New Orleans Pelicans vs. Sacramento Kings game postponed
- NBA suspends 2019-20 season
- NBA G-League season suspended
- Report: Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert tests positive for COVID-19
- Report: Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell test positive for COVID-19
- NCAA President announces NCAA Tournament will be played without fans in attendance
- Nebraska head basketball head coach Fred Hoiberg taken to hospital midgame and diagnosed with Influenza A
- Power 5 Conference Tournaments canceled
- Mid-major Conferences cancel basketball tournaments
- Ivy Leagues cancels all spring sporting events
- Michigan Football cancels spring game
- Ohio State head coach Ryan Day says no more recruiting
- Pac-12 cancels all sporting events
- Mountain West Conference cancels events
- NCAA Tournament canceled
- BYU cancels all athletic events
- The University of Utah cancels all athletic event
- Big Sky Conference (includes Weber State University) suspends athletics
- BYU Football suspends spring practice
- Utah Football suspends spring practice
- Dallas FC vs. Seattle Sounders match postponed
- U.S. Soccer cancels upcoming matches for USWNT and USMNT
- MLS suspends 2020 season for 30 days
- Arsenal Boss Mikel Arteta Tests Positive For COVID-19
- English Premier League Suspends Season
- Seattle Mariners won’t play home games in March
- Oakland Athletics vs. San Francisco Giants preseason game postponed
- Major League Baseball suspends spring training and delays start of season
- San Jose Sharks close home games to fans
- The NHL have “paused” their season beginning with games on March, 12
- Los Angeles Wildcats vs. Seattle Dragons game to be played without fans in attendance
- XFL season suspended
- U.S. Ski & Snowboard cancels all remaining domestic events
- Utah Grizzlies season suspended
- Salt Lake Bees season postponed
- The Masters golf tournament postponed
- NASCAR and Indy Car racing postpone races
- Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation closes venues to the public
This story will be updated.
Have you or a family member been affected by coronavirus issues in Utah? KSL TV wants to hear from you. Contact KSL by emailing email@example.com.
What is COVID-19? Here’s What You Need To Know To Stay Healthy
The latest coronavirus stories from KSL TV can be found here.
Your Life Your Health: How can parents prepare their home, children against coronavirus?
How Do I Prevent It?
The CDC has some simple recommendations, most of which are the same for preventing other respiratory illnesses or the flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who may be sick
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
The CDC does not recommend wearing a facemask respirator to protect yourself from coronavirus unless a healthcare professional recommends it.