Jordan Clarkson, Donovan Mitchell Lead Jazz To Massive Road Win Over Nuggets
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Jordan Clarkson and Donovan Mitchell had big performances to help the Utah Jazz knock off the Denver Nuggets, 109-105 on Sunday evening.
Donovan Mitchell had just 2 points in the first half but finished with 18 points while Jordan Clarkson scored 13 of his 23 points in the first half.
Six Jazz players scored in double figures led by Clarkson with 23 and Mitchell’s 18. Bojan Bogdanovic added 17 points, Mike Conley chipped in 14 and Rudy Gobert notched a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds.
Jamal Murray led the Nuggets with 30 points, including 24 points in the first half. Nikola Jokic nearly had a triple double with 35 points, 14 rebounds and 9 assists.
Jamal Murray, Nikola Jokic Too Much For Jazz In First Half For Nuggets
Defensively, the Nuggets gave the Jazz some flashbacks from the 2020 NBA Playoff series in the bubble in Orlando, Florida as Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic had big first half performances. The dynamic duo combined for 23 of the Nuggets’ 31 first quarter points. On the flip side, Utah played 8 players in the opening quarter and 7 of them scored their 32 points.
The second quarter was all Jamal Murray as he dropped 13 points in the period while Jokic had just 4 points. Jordan Clarkson dropped 11 points in the second off the bench, including a three-pointer that turned into a four-point play after getting fouled. At the break, Murray and Jokic had 40 points combined and together shot 15-of-26 from the floor. Three Jazz players were in double figures led by Jordan Clarkson with 13 points. Mike Conley had 12 and Bojan Bogdanovic added 11 points.
Denver outscored Utah in the second quarter 27-21. The Nuggets ended the first half on a 25-11 run and had a 58-53 lead at the break.
Donovan Mitchell, Jordan Clarkson Come Up Big In Second Half For Jazz
Jamal Murray didn’t score in the third quarter but Jokic had 11 of the Nuggets’ 21 points. The Jazz outscored Denver 28-21 in the third quarter. Donovan Mitchell had a much better quarter than the first half with 8 points. In the first half, Mitchell had two points on 1-of-10 shooting from the field. Rudy Gobert and Bojan Bogdanovic each scored 6 points in the third. Gobert had a monster dunk over Nuggets forward Will Barton.
The Jazz defense was strong in the third quarter, limiting the Nuggets to just 29 percent field goal shooting. Murray scored his first bucket of the second half with 3:18 left in the game.
Late in the game the Jazz had a three-point lead in the final minute. Royce O’Neale made two free throws to put them up five points. Jamal Murray missed a three-pointer on the other end. After the Nuggets collected the offensive rebound, they called a timeout and Murray drilled a triple to cut the lead to two with 6 seconds left. O’Neale threw the ball to Gobert for the slam to seal the win.
The Jazz improved their record to 9-4 this season and have won five straight games. They will return to Salt Lake City to play six straight and seven of their next eight at Vivint Smart Home Arena. The first game during that stretch will be on Tuesday, January 19 against the New Orleans Pelicans. Tip-off will be at 7 p.m. MST and will be broadcast on AT&T SportsNet.
- Karl Malone's Son Shares Update On Health Of Utah Jazz Legend's Wife (pageviews: 18600)
- BYU Football Adds Grad Transfer Mufi Hill-Hunt From Utah - KSL Sports (pageviews: 4458)
- Mel Kiper Jr. Shakes Up Landing Spot For Zach Wilson In Latest Mock Draft - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3985)
- Elijah Millsap Accuses Jazz VP Dennis Lindsey Of Racially Pointed Remark - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2540)
- BYU Men's Volleyball, Grand Canyon Go Back-And-Forth For Longest Set In NCAA History (pageviews: 2143)
- Former Utah State Aggie Jakob Robinson Transfers To BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1285)
- Ryan Smith, Apple CEO, Imagine Dragons Singer Team To Expand LGBTQ+ Safe House Encircle - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1118)
- Utah Jazz Release Guard Shaquille Harrison (pageviews: 994)
- Jazz Release Second Half Of Regular Season Schedule - KSL Sports (pageviews: 932)