FIBA Lists 3 Jazz Players As Possible MVP Candidates For World Cup
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – FIBA Basketball listed Utah Jazz players Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, and Joe Ingles among the list of possible MVP candidates for the 2019 World Cup Most Valuable Player award.
Mitchell, Gobert, and Ingles were among 12 players listed on a FIBA poll for the most impressive player of the international tournament.
FIBA included the Jazz stars in an online poll where fans can vote for their MVP favorite.
Mitchell is currently representing Team USA in the World Cup.
Gobert is a member of the French National Team, “Les Bleus.”
Ingles is donning the green and gold of the Australian Boomers in international play.
Former Jazz guard, Ricky Rubio, is also listed as a candidate. Rubio is a member of Spain’s national squad.
Other candidates are:
- Facundo Campazzo (Argentina)
- Luis Scola (Argentina)
- Patty Mills (Australia)
- Marc Gasol (Spain)
- Mateusz Ponitka (Poland)
- Evan Fournier (France)
- Tomas Satoransky (Czech Republic)
- Bogdan Bogdanovic (Serbia)
The voting process is easy for fans to choose their favorite player. Fans can visit FIBA’s website and simply click on an image of the player they feel “should be the #FIBAWC MVP”.
As of Thursday, September 12 at 12 p.m. (MDT), Satoransky was leading the vote with 45% of the votes. Bogdanovic was in 2nd place with 30%. Gobert was receiving 2% of the vote while Mitchell had 1%. Ingles was sitting at 0%.
FIBA’s “Who has been the most impressive player at the World Cup?” poll is “not an official vote.”
The official MVP “will be announced on the last day of the competition in China.”
Mitchell has been impressive in his first international experience. Spida is the second leading scorer for Team USA with 12.7 points per game. He also owns the highest individual scoring game for the US with 29 points in a loss to France. Mitchell has also averaged 4.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists in the World Cup.
After consecutive losses to France and Serbia, Mitchell and Team USA will play for 7th place in the tournament against the Czech Republic or Poland.
Gobert has been dominant throughout the World Cup. He is second in blocks per game with 2.3. He is also averaging 9.7 rebounds per game which is fourth-best in the tournament. Gobert also led the French to an impressive win over Team USA on September 11.
Gobert and “Les Bleus” will face Argentina in the semifinals on Friday, September 13 at 4 a.m. (MDT). The game is available on ESPN+.
Ingles has led the Boomers’ throughout the international tournament. The Jazz small forward’s talent has been on display both individually and as a playmaker for his squad. Ingles has averaged 10.5 points, 5.7 rebounds, and 5.8 assists.
The Boomers have also made it to the World Cup semifinals and will play against Spain. The game is Friday, September 13 at 12 a.m. (MDT) on ESPN+.
- No World Cup For Team USA? No Problem For Utah Jazz Fans
- Gobert Blocks Fellow Jazzman Donovan Mitchell, Eliminates US From Medal Contention
- Joe Ingles Scores 23 Points In Win Over Gobert, France
If France and Australia win their semifinal games, Gobert and Ingles will face each other for a gold medal and bragging rights in the World Cup final.
Ingles and the Boomers defeated Gobert and France earlier in the tournament. Australia pulled out a 100-98 victory on Monday, September 9.
The winner of France/Argentina will face the winner of Australia/France for the gold medal on Sunday, September 15 at 4 a.m. (MDT).
The FIBA World Cup final will be available on ESPN+.
- Joe Ingles Complains On Twitter, Mitchell, Gobert Jokingly Respond - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2341)
- With Drew Brees Returning In 2020, What Does That Mean For Taysom Hill? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2334)
- BYU's Path To Top 25 Ranking Was Difficult, But Rewarding - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2032)
- BYU Basketball Ranked In AP Top 25 For 1st Time In Nine Years - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1092)
- Former Utah DT John Penisini Didn't Expect To Be In Position To Get Drafted - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1006)
- BYU Basketball Home Finale Against No. 2 Gonzaga Is Sold Out - KSL Sports (pageviews: 792)
- Projecting BYU Football's 2020 Offensive Depth Chart - KSL Sports (pageviews: 364)
- BYU's Cosmo Leads Comedian To Break Down Viral Dunk With Bill Walton Impression - KSL Sports (pageviews: 360)
- RSL-Live - KSL Sports (pageviews: 297)