Utah Jazz Release Statement Following Team’s Gesture Of Kneeling During National Anthem
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Jazz released a statement after the team took a knee during the national anthem before their game against the New Orleans Pelicans.
The Jazz faced the Pelicans on Thursday, July 30, at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida.
Minutes before the start of the game, both teams stepped on the court wearing shirts that featured the phrase “Black Lives Matter.”
The Utah Jazz released the following statement on Thursday.
“The Utah Jazz are committed to advancing social justice and stand in support of the players, coaches and staff as they exercise their First Amendment rights, and use their voices, their experiences, and their platforms to peacefully express themselves,” the statement read. “We are a values-based organization and believe in the foundational principles of justice, equality, fairness and economic empowerment. Our organization strives to be a unifying force in our comunities and we hope this time in our history can be a catalyst for positive change in a country we love.”
During the pregame national anthem, players and coaches from the Jazz and Pelicans kneeled on the court next to a “Black Lives Matter” floor decal. NBA officials for the contest joined the teams in kneeling.
- BYU's Kalani Sitake Sternly Clarifies Cougars' Position On Potential Washington Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2904)
- Donovan Mitchell Keeps Tweeting At The Uno People - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2322)
- BYU Football Comes In At No. 14 In College Football Playoff Rankings (pageviews: 2210)
- Utah Football Game Against Arizona State Canceled Due To COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1624)
- Utah Jazz Officially Sign Former BYU Guard Jake Toolson (pageviews: 1227)
- BYU's Matt Haarms Will Be Game-Time Decision For New Orleans (pageviews: 864)
- BYU Basketball: Three Observations From Win Over Westminister (pageviews: 728)
- Derrick Favors: Utah 'Feels Like Home' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 681)
- Britain Covey Confirms Hamstring Injury In #GiveThanks Instagram Post - KSL Sports (pageviews: 652)