Following Conflicting Reports, MiLB Confirms No Decision Has Been Made To Cancel Season
UPDATE: After conflicting reports came out about the possible cancellation of the Minor League Baseball season, the league put out a statement saying no such decision has been made.
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The 2020 season of Minor League Baseball has been canceled and MLB rosters will be expanded for a condensed season, according to one report. An additional report said that no decision has been made while ESPN’s Jeff Passan said, “Major League Baseball has not canceled the Minor League Baseball season.”
Joe Doyle of SB Nation first reported on Wednesday, April 29 that MiLB games won’t be played in 2020.
“According to multiple agents representing minor league players, messaging went out Wednesday that there will not be a minor league season in 2020,” wrote Doyle. “Instead, Major League Baseball will expand rosters for a condensed big league season.”
A couple of players under those agents said they are expecting to play baseball soon, according to the report.
“Expecting to report in the next three weeks,” a source told Doyle. “We’re expecting the season to start in June.”
The news comes a few days after reports surfaced that the NBA would allow teams to reopen practice facilities if government guidelines permitted in early May.
“In this political climate starving for businesses to re-open, it was a matter of time,” one agent said. “MLB is clearly following in the footsteps of the NBA in making this happen. They plan on doing so while following social distancing guidelines.”
JJ Cooper of Baseball America said that he’s heard of the report but “can find nothing of the sort.”
“Three major agencies say they have not received any messaging saying MiLB season is cancelled,” tweeted Cooper. “MLB and MiLB also both say no decision has been made.”
ESPN’s Jeff Passan said that “contrary to reports, Major League Baseball has not canceled the Minor League Baseball season, according to a league spokesman.”
Major League Baseball along with the majority of the sporting world delayed its season on March 12 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The cancellation of Minor League Baseball would affect teams in the state of Utah, including the Salt Lake Bees, Ogden Raptors, and Orem Owlz.
KSLSports.com has reached out to the Salt Lake Bees organization for comment and is awaiting a response.
- Paul Finebaum Puts BYU In College Football Playoff Over Traditional Powers - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1536)
- Fremont Forced To Forfeit Post-Season Game Against Copper Hills Due To COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1447)
- Utah Jazz Center Rudy Gobert Sinks Threes Over Best Prospect In The World (pageviews: 1439)
- Five Takeaways From BYU Football Depth Chart Heading Into Texas State Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1202)
- Jazz Mitchell To Join VP Nominee Kamala Harris At Roundtable - KSL Sports (pageviews: 972)
- Paul Finebaum Puts BYU In College Football Playoff Over Traditional Powers - KSL Sports (pageviews: 834)
- BYU Will Celebrate Halloween With Late-Night Kick Against Western Kentucky - KSL Sports (pageviews: 639)
- Jazz Mitchell To Join VP Nominee Kamala Harris At Roundtable - KSL Sports (pageviews: 609)
- Five Takeaways From BYU Football Depth Chart Heading Into Texas State Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 608)