Utah QB Huntley Named Semifinalist For Davey O’Brien Award
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah quarterback Tyler Huntley was listed as a finalist for the 2019 Davey O’Brien Award which honors the nation’s top QB in college football.
Huntley was recognized as a semifinalist for the award on Wednesday, November 13.
The Ute signal-caller is one of 16 quarterbacks that made the semifinalist list.
In addition to Huntley, the following QBs were named semifinalists for the award:
- Charlie Brewer (No. 13 Baylor)
- Shane Buechele (AP No. 20 SMU)
- Joe Burrow (No. 1 LSU)
- Sam Ehlinger (No. 19 Texas)
- Justin Fields (No. 2 Ohio State)
- Jake Fromm (No. 4 Georgia)
- Anthony Gordon (Washington State)
- Justin Herbert (No. 6 Oregon)
- Jalen Hurts (No. 10 Oklahoma)
- Trevor Lawrence (No. 3 Clemson)
- Tanner Morgan (No. 8 Minnesota)
- Malcolm Perry (No. 23 Navy)
- Brock Purdy (Iowa State)
- Tua Tagovailoa (No. 5 Alabama)
- Brady White (No. 18 Memphis)
What is the Davey O’Brien Award?
The Davey O’Brien Award is “presented annually to the best college quarterback, and is the nation’s oldest and most prestigious national quarterback award.”
The award is determined by the combination of a fan vote and a national selection committee.
Votes from fans count as five perfect in the voting process.
The selection committee is made up of journalists, broadcaster, commentators, and former Davey O’Brien Award winners.
Three finalists for the award will be announced on Monday, November 25.
2019’s award-winning QB will be announced on Thursday, December 12.
MORE ON HUNTLEY:
- Stats Prove Huntley Is A Top 5 Quarterback Nationally
- O’Connell: Tyler Huntley Is The Best Quarterback In Pac-12
- Andy Ludwig Getting Most Out Of Huntley, Moss In Utah’s Offense
The Utah quarterback is among the nation’s best signal-callers in multiple statistical this season. In fact, he’s top 10 or top 5 in most of them.
Huntley currently ranks:
- 2nd in the FBS in completion percentage (73.8 percent; 141-191)
- 4th in yards-per-pass attempt (10.80)
- 6th in passing efficiency (182.5).
- 5th in ESPN’s Total QBR (89.5)
- 10th in passing yards per completion
- 1st in completion percentage on third down (76.9)
He’s responsible for 15 touchdowns (11 passing, 4 rushing) and thrown for more than 2,000 yards.
The Utes’ QB has only thrown one interception this season.
He currently has the Utah football team ranked No. 7 in the College Football Playoff rankings.
If Huntley were to win the award, he would become the fourth QB from a Utah-based university to win the award.