Young Talent Highlights Mitchell’s Prediction For Best NFL QB
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Former NFL quarterback and host of Helmets Off podcast, Scott Mitchell, is stirring things up by leaving all-time greats Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers off of his list of quarterbacks who will have the best season in 2019.
“If you put a banana on the counter, no matter how good it looks, it will eventually turn brown,” said Mitchell when explaining his rationale.
On a recent episode of the podcast, Mitchell predicted that Father Time may finally catch up with Brady, Rodgers and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Rothlisberger, even though they are found on most top QB lists put out by national media outlets.
There is one exception to the age factor rule on Mitchell’s list, a New Orleans Saints superstar starts the list at No. 5.
5. Drew Brees
The 40-year-old fan favorite in New Orleans will elude Father Time for now. Mitchell predicts after last year’ s NFC championship fiasco against the Los Angeles Rams that ended with a botched pass interference call that would have likely changed the outcome of the game, Brees will come back hungry for redemption.
“Of all the old guys I still think he (Brees) has the most left in his tank,” said Mitchell.
4. Russell Wilson
Russell Wilson just got paid, signing a record $140 million, four-year extension with the Seattle Seahawks.
“Getting paid can mess with a guy’s psyche,” warned Mitchell, but he doesn’t think Wilson is this type of player.
Mitchell predicted that Seahawks fans haven’t seen Wilson’s full potential and this may be “his season” because he gets better every season he plays.
3. Jared Goff
There is only one reason Mitchell is putting Jared Goff on this list. It comes down his behavior following the Rams’ Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots last year.
Goff took full credit for the loss, saying the loss was on him. Mitchell respects that.
“He owned up to it and that is a tremendous sign of maturity,” said Mitchell.
That maturity will serve his budding career well, predicted Mitchell.
2. Andrew Luck
Mitchell thinks Andrew Luck is an “amazing talent and an amazing leader” but he is also in the perfect position having Frank Reich as his head coach.
Frank Reich’s strongest coaching quality is his ability to develop a quarterback, Mitchell assessed.
“The Colts are a team who have really learned how to win,” said Mitchell.
1. Patrick Mahomes
Mitchell is high on the young Kansas City Chiefs gunslinger, Patrick Mahomes.
Mitchell is enamored by Mahomes’ ability to accurately throw the ball while he is moving around.
“He’s got a Gumby arm,” said Mitchell.
Mitchell said Mahomes is the beginning of the next generation of NFL superstar quarterbacks.
“He introduces an entirely new way to showcase quarterback talent,” said Mitchell.
All of these quarterbacks have a chance to lead their teams to a Super Bowl victory, Mitchell predicted.
Do you agree with Mitchell’s top five 2019 NFL quarterbacks? Head over to the Helmets Off Twitter account to join the discussion.
The Helmets Off podcast airs new episodes every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Four Candidates To Be Utah Football's Next 'Head Coach In Waiting' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1274)
- Stanford Athletics Will Cut 11 Varsity Sports Following 2020-21 Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1078)
- Four Candidates To Be Utah Football's Next 'Head Coach In Waiting' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 927)
- Report: Kansas City Chiefs Reach Agreement With QB Patrick Mahomes On 10-Year Contract Extension - KSL Sports (pageviews: 889)
- Emmanuel Mudiay Will Miss Jazz Fans In First Playoffs - KSL Sports (pageviews: 866)
- Five BYU Football Newcomers Who Could Make An Impact In 2020 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 856)
- Local Teams Wish Fans Happy Independence Day, Happy Fourth Of July (pageviews: 483)
- Karl Malone Jr. Addresses Father's Statutory Rape History - KSL Sports (pageviews: 423)
- Jimmer Fredette Becomes Free Agent After Parting Ways With Panathinaikos - KSL Sports (pageviews: 409)