REAL SALT LAKE

Chicho Arango Lifts Real Salt Lake To Victory Over Sporting Kansas City

May 4, 2024, 9:34 PM | Updated: 10:12 pm

Chicho-Arango-Real-Salt-Lake...

RSL forward Chicho Arango vs. Sporting KC on May 4, 2024 (Courtesy of Real Salt Lake)

(Courtesy of Real Salt Lake)

SANDY – Chicho Arango scored late in the second half to push Real Salt Lake‘s winning streak to three consecutive matches with a win over Sporting Kansas City.

Real Salt Lake stretches winning streak

RSL hosted Kansas City at America First Field in Sandy, Utah on Saturday, May 4.

Real Salt Lake defeated Sporting KC, 1-0.

RSL had its opportunities during the first 45 minutes of action. The home side controlled possession for 63.5 percent of the opening half and had multiple chances to put one in the back of the net. Real Salt Lake recorded seven shots in the first half, including two on goal. Sporting KC owned possession for only 36.5 percent of the half and was limited to six shots, including just one on frame. The visiting side also failed to earn a corner kick in the first half while Real Salt Lake had four opportunities from the corner.

In the second half, Real Salt Lake’s chances continued and seemed plentiful. Multiple balls bounced the wrong for RSL inside of the 18-yard box after the break. A couple of would-be goals landed on the near post rather than sailing on frame and into the net. However, Real Salt Lake’s pressure didn’t relent and it finally paid off in the 81st minute.

With 10 minutes left to play, Chicho Arango put his head to the ball and sent a close shot into the back of the net to break what was heading toward a scoreless result. The forward’s shot put Real Salt Lake ahead of Sporting KC, 1-0. It was Arango’s ninth goal of the season.

After the match, RSL head coach Pablo Mastroeni called Arango “a killer” in front of the goal.

The home side held off Sporting KC in the closing minutes to secure three points at home and a third straight victory.

Real Salt Lake ended with 58.6 percent of the possession and control of the final scoreboard.

RSL finished the night with four more shots than Sporting KC, 14-10, and four more shots on frame, 5-1.

Real Salt Lake’s next match is in the Round of 32 in the 2024 U.C. Open Cup. On Wednesday, May 8, RSL will travel to to Rio Grande Credit Union Field at Isotopes Park in Albuquerque, New Mexico to face the New Mexico United of the USL Championship. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. (MT). The match can be heard on KSL Sports Zone (97.5 FM), and KSLSports.com.

Real Salt Lake this season

Real Salt Lake opened its 2024 schedule with a 2-0 loss to Inter Miami CF on February 21. The club followed up the season-opening loss by picking up a point in a 1-1 draw with St. Louis only three days later.

Following the draw with St. Louis, Real Salt Lake beat LAFC at home, 3-0. Then, RSL fell at home to the Colorado Rapids, 2-1.

Real Salt Lake got back on track with a 2-1 win over Vancouver on March 23 and a 3-1 victory over St. Louis on March 30.

The team’s two-game winning streak was snapped with a 1-1 draw with Minnesota United FC on April 6 at Allianz Field.

On April 13, RSL played the Columbus Crew to a scoreless draw before crushing the Chicago Fire, 4-0, a week later.

In the club’s last match before facing Sporting KC, RSL picked up a 2-1 win over Philadelphia.

Kyle Ireland is a Sports Producer and Locals in the NFL Insider for KSLSports.com. Listen to Ireland on Yards After College: An NFL Podcast. Follow him on X (@kyleireland), Threads (@kyleirelandksl), and Instagram (@kyleirelandksl).

Download the new & improved KSL Sports app from Utah’s sports leader. You can stream live radio, video and stay up to date on all of your favorite teams.

  • Real Salt Lake Leaders

  • Real Salt Lake Standings

Real Salt Lake

Chicho-Arango-Real-Salt-Lake-Sporting-KC...

Kyle Ireland

Real Salt Lake Looks To Set New Franchise Mark Against Sporting KC

Real Salt Lake hopes to set a new franchise record by defeating or drawing against Sporting Kansas City in a midweek battle.

1 day ago

Real-Salt-Lake-Montréal...

Kyle Ireland

Real Salt Lake Keeps Unbeaten Streak Alive, Plays CF Montréal To Scoreless Draw

Real Salt Lake kept its unbeaten streak alive by playing CF Montréal to a scoreless draw north of the border.

3 days ago

Real-Salt-Lake-MLS...

Chandler Holt

Real Salt Lake Returns To Action Against CF Montreal Following Break

Real Salt Lake faces off against CF Montreal at Stadium Saputo on Saturday following a two-week break from MLS play.

4 days ago

Chicho Arango Real Salt Lake RSL MLS Austin FC...

Chandler Holt

Can Real Salt Lake Climb MLS Mountain For First Time In 15 Years?

Real Salt Lake is off to one of the best starts in the club's history as the midway point of the 2024 season approaches.

14 days ago

Chicho Arango Anderson Julio Real Salt Lake RSL...

Chandler Holt

Real Salt Lake Dominates Austin FC To Retain Top Spot In West

Real Salt Lake played arguably its best game of the season in a 5-1 beatdown of Austin FC at America First Field on Saturday.

17 days ago

Chicho Arango Real Salt Lake RSL...

Chandler Holt

Chicho Arango Buries Penalty Kick For Hat Trick Against Austin FC

Chicho Arango and RSL showed off their dominance against Austin FC. A penalty kick in the 71st minute gave Arango a hat trick.

17 days ago

Sponsored Articles

...

KSL Sports

Utah Hockey Newsletter: Sign Up Now

Want to get the latest info on Utah's newest sports franchise? Sign up for the Utah Hockey newsletter!

Hans & Scotty's Day of Adoption...

Hans & Scotty’s Day Of Adoption

Join the KSL Sports Zone for Hans & Scotty's Day of Adoption, in partnership with the Humane Society of Utah, on June 25th, 2024!

ksl-sports-newsletter...

KSL Sports

KSL Sports Newsletter: Sign Up Now

Sign up today for the KSL Sports newsletter. Get the latest Utah sports news delivered to your inbox.

...

KSL Sports

Jazz Notes Newsletter: Sign Up Now

Sign up today for the Jazz Notes newsletter. Get insider analysis, game recaps and opportunities to win tickets!

3 kids wearing real salt lake jerseys smiling...

Real Salt Lake

6 Reasons You Need to Experience a RSL Matchday

RSL Games are a great way to spend time with your family with fun activities, good food, and traditions you can only experience at the field.

High angle view of the beautiful Rose Bowl Stadium...

KSL Digital Sales

How to Prepare for the 2023 Rose Bowl

Everything you need to know to plan your 2023 Rose Bowl trip in Pasadena, California. This year, the Utes will face Penn State.

Chicho Arango Lifts Real Salt Lake To Victory Over Sporting Kansas City