Utah Utes Vs. Washington Huskies Score Prediction, Game Day Storylines
Nov 10, 2023, 12:30 PM
SALT LAKE CITY – We are around 24 hours away from the No. 13 Utah Utes kicking off against the No. 5 Washington Huskies which means it’s time for storylines and a game prediction.
Utah will be looking to keep the momentum going after completely dismantling the Arizona State Sun Devils at home last week. Ironically, ASU gave the unbeaten Huskies about all they could handle a few weeks ago making this game an interesting one to watch.
While Washington has looked vulnerable on occasion through the 2023 football season, they still have managed to stay undefeated to this point. Utah will need to play their best football on Saturday if they want to knock the Huskies off and keep their dreams of a third Pac-12 Title alive.
Before game day, make sure you are in the know about important storylines, and questions surrounding the game as well as a score prediction for Utah versus Washington.
On the road this week 🙌 pic.twitter.com/ue8XQSdhcN
— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) November 6, 2023
Three Storylines For Utah Football Vs. Washington
- Ja’Quinden Jackson. The run game is always big for Utah, but I believe it will carry a little more weight for the Utes this week and it’s all going to start with whether or not JJ is good to go. Thankfully Jackson’s injury at the end of last week’s game has not been announced as season-ending, but we’ve all seen the difference between JJ when his ankle has been bothering him versus being at least tolerable. Utah needs him to be in a place where it is tolerable, and he can be effective. If he struggles because the ankle is bothering him, or he’s not even cleared to play this week at all, it could be a very long game for Utah.
- The Utah Defense. The Utah defense is going to have to be lights out. They are going to need to play like they did against Florida, UCLA, and ASU to keep the Utes in the game. If they look how they did against Oregon, Michael Penix Jr. and his stable of wide receivers will happily carve them up. It won’t be easy since UW has one of the best offensive lines in the country, but this Utah defense is going to need to get after it from the jump and never allow Penix Jr. the luxury of being comfortable.
- Utah Needs Their Best Team Effort Of The Year. Kyle Whittingham said earlier in the week that Utah will need to play their best game of the year if they want to walk out of Seattle with a win and their Pac-12 hopes alive. He’s not wrong. Washington is a very, very solid team this year and will eat the Utes alive if given the chance. Utah cannot have any mistakes. They will need to be flawless, and they will need to play together. They mostly have done that this season all things given with particularly great games against USC and Arizona State. If they can play like that, they could have a chance.
“We got a big challenge this week, on the road against the #5 team in the country. We got to be at our best. We just can’t play good, we got to play great and that’s what it’s going to take.”
–@UtahCoachWhitt#GoUtes | @utah_football
— Utah Athletics (@utahathletics) November 6, 2023
Two Questions Heading Into Utah Vs. UW
- Can Utah’s Defense Get Pressure On Michael Penix Jr? This is likely the biggest key of the game for Utah. The Utah defense has been pretty great this year and the defensive line has been incredibly disruptive as evidenced by Jonah Elliss’ 11.5 sacks and counting. They will need to put together their best effort yet in order to keep Michael Penix Jr from picking a part the secondary and scoring at will.
- Where Will The Surprise Explosiveness Come From On Offense? We all know Utah has been going without some of their key pieces in 2023- particularly on offense, which means Andy Ludwig has had to devise other ways to make the Utes explosive on that side of the ball. Against Florida, it was Money Parks. Against Baylor, it was Nate Johnson. Against Cal and USC, it was Sione Vaki. Against ASU it Ja’Quinden Jackson and Devaughn Vele. While most of these guys are not the “usual suspects” for the Utes, they have shown a propensity to throw the other team off their game to get the win. Will it be one of those guys against Washington? Will it be a combo of them? Could it be someone not mentioned but on the cusp such as Landen King? Munir McClain? Mikey Matthews? Jaylon Glover? Whatever the case, Utah will need one of those surprise elements that they keep going to until UW forces them to do something different. Who will it be?
Players of the Game 🙌 pic.twitter.com/0RYF9JdLlp
— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) November 7, 2023
Utah Vs. Washington Score Prediction
Much like Oregon a few weeks ago, this is a game that I can see playing out in several different ways and none of them would surprise me.
Washington could absolutely blow Utah out of the water. It’s a realistic scenario that could play out, however, Utah rarely gets beat like that multiple times in a season and Oregon already took that crown.
Utah could squeak out a close one on the road that rocks everyone else’s world. I could see the Utes giving the Huskies all they can handle defensively and Bryson Barnes and crew doing just enough to get it done. UW has shown some vulnerability against teams way worse off than Utah already.
However, what I believe is most likely to happen is Utah plays it close with good defense and a mostly solid offensive effort (maybe a mistake or two) that ultimately tips things in Washington’s favor.
- Washington 35 – Utah 28
Michelle Bodkin is the Utah Utes Insider for KSLsports.com and host of both the Crimson Corner Podcast (SUBSCRIBE) and The Saturday Show (Saturday from 10 a.m.–12 p.m.) on The KSL Sports Zone. Follow her on X, Instagram, and Threads: @BodkinKSLsports
Are you on Threads yet? Let’s connect, give us a follow @kslsports.
Utah Utes Scoreboard
Utah Utes Team Leaders
Utah Utes Standings