QB Nate Johnson Scrambles For Touchdown Against Florida Gators
Aug 31, 2023, 7:06 PM
(Courtesy of Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY – In the second quarter against the Florida Gators, QB Nate Johnson busted ankles in the secondary on his way to Utah’s second touchdown of the game.
Johnson’s score gave Utah a 14-3 lead over the Gators in Rice-Eccles Stadium.
Utah goes up 14-3 on the Gators 👀 pic.twitter.com/moHBGcGJLw
— ESPN College Football (@ESPNCFB) September 1, 2023
Johnson first got on the field in the second quarter. He went three and out but a mistake from Florida gave the Utes the ball back.
The Gators sent out two players wearing No. 3 and the refs threw a flag. The penalty gave Utah a chance to score from Florida’s side of the field.
After a few snaps from Bryson Barnes, Johnson got back in and made the most of it.
WHOA…Florida messed up big time on the punt sending in two No. 3s…automatic first down for the #Utes.
Barnes back in.#GoUtes
— Michelle Bodkin (@BodkinKSLsports) September 1, 2023
Three Storylines For Florida Vs. Utah
- Cam Rising – this should come as no surprise to anyone who has been keeping tabs of the Utes ahead of their 2023 football season. Rising has been diligently recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in the Rose Bowl earlier this year and has made great strides. However, it is looking like he may not be quite ready to start which means Utah may be playing with Bryson Barnes and/or Nate Johnson under center.
- Florida’s Travel To Utah – there are 2,207 miles between Gainesville, Florida and Salt Lake City, Utah that got complicated earlier in the week with Idalia strengthening into a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. The Gators originally planned to travel to Utah on Wednesday but left a day early with a stop in Dallas, Texas to avoid being trapped by the storm. That amount of travel in one day is hard enough, but having to split it up into two is even more interesting and could have some effects on the game along with the increased elevation.
- Utah’s Defense – last season the Utes were not their typical, sharp selves against the Gators and it went a long way to costing them the game. Utah’s defense has not forgotten that and there has been a lot of talk about the things they have done and addressed to be better prepared this year.
View this post on Instagram
Two Questions Heading Into Florida Vs. Utah
- Can Utah beat Florida without Cam Rising? With things trending toward Rising not playing against the Gators, one of the biggest questions surrounding this game is if the Utes can survive a game or two without their QB1. Overall, backup Bryson Barnes has shown fairly well in his limited opportunities and there has been a lot of talk about Utah’s improved depth all over the team that will certainly be put to the test if Rising truly is a no-go.
- Who Is Florida Under Graham Mertz? Florida has undergone some changes since they met the Utes last season in Gainesville. The Anthony Richardson era is done as he moved on to the NFL and the Gators are now breaking in Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz. Interestingly enough, a report came out this week that before landing on Mertz, the Gators looked into Utah quarterback Cam Rising. Does Mertz have what it takes to help second year Florida head coach Billy Napier move the Gators in the right direction.
Utah fans are WILD 🐊 pic.twitter.com/DoZwMQVmo5
— KSL Sports (@kslsports) August 31, 2023
Are you on Threads yet? Let’s connect, give us a follow @kslsports.
Chandler Holt is a co-host for the Jazz Notes podcast and a Digital Sports Producer for KSLSports.com, specializing in all things basketball and football. Follow Chandler on Twitter @ChandlerHoltKSL or on Threads @chandlerho1t.
Want more coverage like Nate Johnson scrambles for touchdown? Take us with you, wherever you go.
Utah Utes Scoreboard
Utah Utes Team Leaders
Utah Utes Standings