Jazz Finish Season, Lock Up Ninth-Best Lottery Odds

Apr 9, 2023, 4:43 PM | Updated: May 15, 2023, 1:36 pm

SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah Jazz fell to the Los Angeles Lakers 128-117, locking up the ninth-best odds to win the NBA draft lottery.

Kris Dunn scored a season-high 26 points to go with 10 rebounds and eight assists to lead four Jazz scorers who finished in double-digits.

LeBron James scored 36 to lead the Lakers.

Jazz Lock Up Ninth-Best Lottery Odds

With the Jazz’s loss to the Lakers, they finished the season with a 37-45 record, sitting alone with the ninth-worst record in the NBA.

The Dallas Mavericks also lost Sunday afternoon but finished the season with 38 wins, and own the 10th-best odds of winning next month’s lottery.

The loss means the Jazz will have a 20.2 percent chance of moving into the top four picks in June’s draft, a 50.8 percent chance of drafting ninth, and a 29 percent chance of getting jumped by at least one team ranked 10-14.

The Jazz will have a 4.5 percent chance of winning the top pick, a 4.8 percent chance of winning the second pick, a 5.2 percent chance of winning the third pick, and a 5.7 percent chance of winning the fourth pick.

Timberwolves Earn Eighth Seed

Despite one of the wildest final games of the regular season by any team in league history, the Minnesota Timberwolves beat the New Orleans Pelicans and will enter the play-in tournament as the eighth seed.

Former Jazz center Rudy Gobert punched Timberwolves teammates Kyle Anderson in the first half of the game, and was sent home by the team for the final two quarters.

In the second half, forward Jaden McDaniels broke his hand punching an object as he walked through the Timberwolves tunnel, and was ruled out for the remainder of the game.

However, the Timberwolves completed a comeback victory over New Orleans, setting up a matchup with the Lakers on Tuesday in game one of the play-in tournament.

If the Timberwolves beat the Lakers, they’ll earn a trip to the playoffs where they’ll face the Memphis Grizzlies, and the first-round pick they owe the Jazz will sit at number 16.

If they fall to the Lakers, they’ll face the winner of game two of the play-in tournament featuring the New Orleans Pelicans and the Oklahoma City Thunder. If Minnesota wins that game, the pick they owe the Jazz will be number 15 overall.

If the Timberwolves fail to make the playoffs, they’ll owe the Jazz the 14th pick in the draft, the final selection of the lottery.

There is also a scenario where the draft pick climbs to 13 if both the Timberwolves and Pelicans fail to make the playoffs via the play-in tournament. A random drawing from the NBA would then determine the tiebreaker for the 13th and 14th picks.

Furthermore, the pick owed to the Jazz could climb as high as 12, if the Miami Heat also fail to qualify for the playoffs via the play-in tournament, and both the Timberwolves and Pelicans fall short of the playoffs.

With the 14th pick in the lottery, the Jazz would add a 2.4 percent chance of moving into the top-four picks in the draft. With the 13th pick, their odds would increase by 4.7 percent. If the Jazz landed the 12th pick, their odds would increase by 7.0 percent.

Ultimately, if the Jazz land another lottery pick via the Timberwolves, their odds of moving into the top four picks of the draft would hover between 22.6 percent, and 27.2 percent.

Jazz Land 28th Pick From 76ers

The Jazz also learned the fate of their third first-round pick earlier Sunday as the Philadelphia 76ers downed the Brooklyn Nets in their regular season finale.

That pick will sit at number 28 overall as Philadelphia finished with the third-best record in the NBA at 54-28.

This pick belongs to the Jazz by way of the Brooklyn Nets who sent it to Utah in the Royce O’Neale trade last July on the first day of free agency.

The NBA Draft lottery will be held on Tuesday, May 16.

Download the new & improved KSL Sports app from Utah’s sports leader. You can stream live radio, video and stay up to date on all of your favorite teams.

Ben Anderson is the Utah Jazz insider for KSL Sports and the co-host of Jake and Ben from 10-12p with Jake Scott on 97.5 The KSL Sports Zone. Find Ben on Twitter at @BensHoops or on Instagram @BensHoops.

  • Utah Jazz Scoreboard

  • Utah Jazz Team Leaders

  • Utah Jazz Standings

Utah Jazz

Nick Smith Jr. #3 of the Arkansas Razorbacks warms up before a game against the Mississippi State B...

Ben Anderson

NBA Draft Insider Peek: Draft Opens Up At Jazz Ninth Pick

Yahoo Sports insider Krysten Peek said the talent in the NBA draft dips just before the Utah Jazz are on the clock with the ninth pick.

1 day ago

Steve Wojciechowski speaks during a press conference after being introduced as the new Salt Lake Ci...

Ben Anderson

Stars Introduce Steve Wojciechowski As Head Coach

The Salt Lake City Stars officially introduced Steve Wojciechowski as the team's new head coach on Wednesday.

1 day ago

Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith...

Ben Anderson

Ryan Smith: Anyone With ‘Rabbit Ears’ Will Catch Jazz Games

Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith hinted that the team's games will be available to fans without a cable or satellite subscription next season.

2 days ago

alen Hood-Schifino speaks with the media during the NBA Draft Combine...

Ben Anderson

Who Do Utah Jazz Fans Like In Draft?

With the NBA Draft just weeks away, Utah Jazz fans have turned their attention to the top prospects in this year's class. 

3 days ago


Kyle Ireland

Report: Jazz Associate General Manager Hired As Suns Assistant Coach

Jazz associate general manager David Fizdale's stop in Utah will only last one season, according to ESPN NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski.

3 days ago


Kyle Ireland

Utah Jazz Guard Collin Sexton Launches ‘Always More’ Docuseries

Collin Sexton launched an original docuseries to give fans "an exclusive behind-the-scenes look as I explore what Utah has to offer."

4 days ago

Sponsored Articles

3 kids wearing real salt lake jerseys smiling...

Real Salt Lake

6 Reasons You Need to Experience a RSL Matchday

RSL Games are a great way to spend time with your family with fun activities, good food, and traditions you can only experience at the field.

High angle view of the beautiful Rose Bowl Stadium...

KSL Digital Sales

How to Prepare for the 2023 Rose Bowl

Everything you need to know to plan your 2023 Rose Bowl trip in Pasadena, California. This year, the Utes will face Penn State.


KSL Digital Sales

Notable Moments From The Utah Jazz Season… So Far

At the beginning of the season, the Utah Jazz were second to last. Now they rank in the top 10 teams in the Western Conference.

Football soccer ball on grass field on stadium...

KSL Digital Sales

Everything You Need to Know to Watch the 2022 World Cup

Find out where and when to watch the upcoming games and final match for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, including where to find live updates.

ksl sports logos...

KSL Sports

KSL Sports Newsletter: Sign Up Now

Sign up today for the KSL Sports newsletter. Get the latest Utah sports news delivered to your inbox.


KSL Sports

Win Tickets Wednesday: Jimmy Buffett

Get your Hawaiian shirts ready.

Jazz Finish Season, Lock Up Ninth-Best Lottery Odds