Utes Bulletin: Things Happening In Utah Athletics (Week Of 3/20/23)
Mar 21, 2023, 10:05 AM
SALT LAKE CITY – Spring football has finally arrived for the U while several of the smaller sports are in full-swing and having major successes, making a one-stop-shop for little tidbits of Utah Athletics information necessary with the Utes Bulletin.
If you missed any of the highlights from the previous week, you can review that here.
Without further ado, here is this week’s Utes Bulletin that includes ranking updates, upcoming events for the week, and important dates to keep track of among other items of interest concerning Utah Athletics for the week of 3/20/23.
𝗨𝘁𝗮𝗵 𝗔𝘁𝗵𝗹𝗲𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘀 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗪𝗲𝗲𝗸
🎟️ https://t.co/pL7bwJAt8N#GoUtes pic.twitter.com/YQ8538BQMn
— Utah Athletics (@utahathletics) March 20, 2023
Girl Gang Of Utah Utes Athletics
The women of Utah absolutely crushed it last week for the Utes.
The Red Rocks won their third-straight Pac-12 Title which had never been done before until now.
Utah women’s basketball successfully hosted the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament and have advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2006.
Utah softball is also making some moves this spring currently sitting first in the Pac-12 after an amazing comeback over No. 17 Arizona last week that iced the series for the Utes.
This week, you've got two chances to see your 𝙁𝙄𝙍𝙎𝙏 𝙋𝙇𝘼𝘾𝙀 and 𝙉𝘼𝙏𝙄𝙊𝙉𝘼𝙇𝙇𝙔 𝙍𝘼𝙉𝙆𝙀𝘿 Utah softball team play at home! See you at Dumke!#GoUtes pic.twitter.com/1URkujQY9j
— Utah Softball (@Utah_Softball) March 20, 2023
- The Red Rocks will now be turning their attention to regional play in hopes of making their 47th consecutive Nationals appearance. Utah has learned they will be heading to L.A. next week from March 30-April 2 and will be facing Auburn, Southern Utah, and Washington in the first round of Regionals. UCLA, Missouri, Stanford and either BYU or Boise State will compete in the other L.A. Regional meet. The top two winners from each meet will then advance to compete for a spot at Nationals.
𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐏… 📍𝐋𝐎𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐒, 𝐂𝐀#RedRocks x #NCAA pic.twitter.com/sYxu2DIQrz
— Utah Gymnastics (@UtahGymnastics) March 20, 2023
Utah Women’s Basketball
- After beating Princeton for a spot in the Sweet 16, Utah women’s basketball will now prepare to travel to Greenville, South Carolina to face three-seed LSU this weekend. The Utes’ tip with the Tigers is set for Friday, March 24 at 3:00 pm MT. KSL Sports will be on the scene providing you all of the best updates.
- Head coach Lynne Roberts was named a finalist for the Naismith Women’s College Coach of the Year award after the Utes’ big victory this past Sunday. Roberts is in great company vying for the award with Kenny Brooks of Virginia Tech, Teri Moren of Indiana, and Dawn Staley of South Carolina being the other three finalists.
𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓. @UtesCoachRob is one of 4️⃣ finalists for the 2023 @wernerladderco Naismith Women’s College Coach of the Year
She’s got our vote 😉 #GoUtes pic.twitter.com/DAgJoFf7FS
— Utah Women’s Basketball (@UTAHWBB) March 20, 2023
- Utah softball has moved up to No. 19 in the country after their stunning comeback victory over the Wildcats this past weekend. Last week they slid into the rankings for the first time this season at No. 23.
- Two Utes got recognized by the Pac-12 for their outstanding play in Utah’s win over Arizona. Ellessa Bonstrom was named player of the week and Abby Dayton was named Freshman of the Week.
Two Utes were honored by the Pac-12 on Monday as Ellessa Bonstrom won her second straight player of the week award and Abby Dayton was named the conference's freshman of the week!!
📰: https://t.co/jtwWXtK2tn#GoUtes pic.twitter.com/FqeoLDuXcJ
— Utah Softball (@Utah_Softball) March 20, 2023
Utah Football Returns (Sort Of)
The much-anticipated 2023 football season for the Utes is marching ever closer with spring practices officially opening on Tuesday, March 21. Utah will be looking to defend their back-to-back conference titles by three-peating, but will have to go through a gauntlet of a schedule to do so.
Still, optimism is high that Utah will be in the conversation once more since they are returning a lot of the same talent that has earned them the first two titles in the first place. Stay tuned to KSL Sports for the latest updates on Kyle Whittingham and crew throughout spring ball.
Utah’s Pro Day will be this Thursday, March 23 and the last opportunity for guys to impress the NFL ahead of the 2023 Draft. The Utes will have 11 participants in attendance hoping to turn some heads.
- Stone Azarcon
- Braeden Daniels
- Mohamoud Diabate
- Jaylen Dixon
- Solomon Enis
- RJ Hubert
- Logan Kendall
- Dalton Kincaid
- Clark Philips III
- Gabe Reid
- Tavion Thomas
Utah vs. Florida
We finally officially know when the Utes and Gators will be kicking off the 2023 season at RES after months of an “or” beside the game. Utah and Florida will face each other on Thursday, August 31.
Pac-12 Media Rights
The Pac-12 started to fight back against Big 12 rumors this past week with ASU and Arizona’s presidents speaking out, as well as Utah Athletic Director Mark Harlan.
"I did that because I am tired of outside forces creating narratives that involved the University of Utah and certainly our conference." – Harlan on his four-word Tweet last week in response to Big 12 rumors.#GoUtes https://t.co/KxSTcwuQwf
— Michelle Bodkin (@BodkinKSLsports) March 16, 2023
The Pac-12 Board of Directors are set to meet on Tuesday, March 21.
KSL Sports believes the Pac-12 may have a number for their media rights but has been unable to confirm that through multiple sources around the situation so far. From several conversations however, it does appear there is some confidence some kind of resolution will be coming sooner rather than later. Updates will be given as they become available.
Michelle Bodkin is the Utah Utes Insider for KSLsports.com and host of both the Crimson Corner Podcast (SUBSCRIBE) and The Saturday Show (Saturday from 10 a.m.–12 p.m.) on The KSL Sports Zone. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @BodkinKSLsports
Utah Utes Scoreboard
Utah Utes Team Leaders
Utah Utes Standings