Jazz At Clippers: Game Night
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Welcome to KSL Sports Game Night as the Utah Jazz prepare to face the Los Angeles Clippers in the first game of a two-game series in LA.
The Jazz will play their sixth consecutive game without Mike Conley who was ruled out after being upgraded to questionable before the team flew to Los Angeles.
Meanwhile, the Clippers will be without Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, and Nicolas Batum for a second straight game as all three are dealing with various ailments.
Follow this page throughout the night for updates on coaches’ quotes, starting lineups, and highlights and thoughts throughout the game.
As per usual, both coaches found a way to compliment Rudy Gobert and his impact on the game on both ends of the floor.
The Jazz allow the fewest made threes in the NBA this season, and Jazz coach Quin Snyder credited Gobert as one of the primary reasons.
“It certainly starts with Rudy,” Snyder said, “We’ve tried to place even more emphasis on finding shooters and transition. That’s really hard to guard when teams are running.”
When asked about what he remembers from the Clippers’ New Years Day loss in Salt Lake City, Clippers coach Tyronn Lue was quick to bring up the Jazz center.
“They do a good job of attacking the basket and have a dynamic role in Rudy,” Lue said. “He puts a lot of pressure on the defense trying to get behind the defense.”
- Slow start for the Jazz initiating their offense. Donovan Mitchell has struggled with Patrick Beverley’s pressure early in the game. Might have to find a different initiator.
- Rudy Gobert continues to dominate games.
- Royce O’Neale leads the Jazz with 8 points, Lou Williams has 7 for the Clippers.
- Jazz shooting just 31% from the floor.
- Donovan Mitchell and Bojan Bogdanovic are a combined 2-11 from the floor for just 6 points.
- Jazz need more from those two to get separation.
- As stars do, Mitchell saw the ball go through the hoop and hit three straight shots. Jazz need him to get going.
- Jazz have struggled to get stops late in the half.
- The Jazz get the Clippers in the penalty with 8:37 left in the quarter, important for an offense that is struggling to score.
- Jazz just can’t seem to climb ahead and hold onto a lead, credit the Clippers who are playing harder than the Jazz right now.
- Again the Jazz take a brief lead and then have back-to-back turnovers and let the Clippers build a three-point lead.
- Donovan Mitchell has found his offense and leads all scorers with 20 points.
- Gobert and Ingles start to connect on the pick and roll and the Clippers were pretty helpless.
- Rudy up to 18 points on 7-10 shooting.
- Joe Ingles took over the game late in the third and early in the fourth. He’s got 14 point son 5-7 shooting.
- Clippers pull their starters with 5:16 left in the game.
- Jazz are up 20 again.
- Snyder can probably pull his starters with 4:30 left in the game and the Jazz up 22.
- Gobert has a 23 point, 20 rebound double-double, this is why the Clippers don’t want to face the Jazz in the playoffs.
Utah Jazz Scoreboard
Utah Jazz Team Leaders
Utah Jazz Standings