Utah Royals Front Office Not Involved In Phone Call Between Players, League Informing Departure
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Royals FC players were informed that the club was moving to Kansas City via a phone call with the National Women’s Soccer League this afternoon, however, the Royals front office was unaware that any phone call was taking place. They were not invited, nor included, a source informs KSL Sports.
The Royals averaged 11,000 fans in attendance, good enough for second-most in the NWSL.
The news regarding the Royals comes during a tumultuous time within the organization.
Owner Dell Loy Hansen has been under growing pressure to sell his Utah Soccer LLC rights. The rights involve the Utah Royals FC, Real Monarchs, Real Salt Lake, and other soccer-related assets including the Zions Bank Real Academy.
However, up until the news broke that the Utah Royals will be relocating back to Kansas City today, most in the know speculated that Hansen would sell all of his assets as a package and not as separate entities.
The Royals spent three seasons in Utah after Hansen purchased the then FC Kansas City and brought the team to Utah.
“I honestly believe we will fill this stadium as easily as we do the men’s team,” Hansen said during a press conference following the Royals’ arrival. “What we want to make this a rallying point for the evolution of equality for men and women in Utah.”
The women’s soccer community in Utah mourns the loss of a respected and beloved franchise that will be sorely missed.
The club sale is still pending with League authorities although is expected to be finalized over the coming days.
- Shaq Doesn't Like Painting Of Donovan Mitchell Dunking On Him - KSL Sports (pageviews: 6097)
- Steve Kerr Thinks Jazz Are Where Warriors Were 'Three Or Four Years Ago' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2413)
- Donovan Mitchell Responds To Shaq; Media, Celebrities React - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1698)
- Utah Gymnast Fighting To Make Olympic Trials After Bout With COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1631)
- Jimmer Fredette Continues To Ball Out In China, Drops 70 Points - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1268)
- Jazz Obliterate The Warriors On Historic Night - KSL Sports (pageviews: 977)
- Local NFL Players, Coaches Participating In Super Bowl LV On February 7 (pageviews: 914)
- BYU Guard Alex Barcello Loses Part Of Tooth During Pepperdine Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 865)
- NFL Star JJ Watt Praises Former BYU TE Matt Bushman For Creating Foundation - KSL Sports (pageviews: 717)