Washington Redskins Announce Franchise ‘Will Undergo A Thorough Review Of The Team’s Name’
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Washington Redskins announced in a statement that the NFL franchise “will undergo a thorough review of the team’s name.”
“In light of recent events around our country and feedback from our community, the Washington Redskins are announcing the team will undergo a thorough review of the team’s name,” the team said a statement on Friday, June 3. “This review formalizes the initial discussions the team has been having with the league in recent weeks.”
“This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League and the local community it is proud to represent on and off the field,” team owner Dan Snyder said in a statement.
ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter commented on the review when he tweeted, “Let’s be clear: There’s no review if there’s no change coming. Redskins on way out.”
In recent weeks, the organization has faced pressure to change its nickname. Some of that pressure has come from the public as well as one of its major sponsors in FedEx.
A search for the term “Redskins” came up with zero results on Nike’s website on June 2.
First-year Washington head coach Ron Rivera also commented in the team’s statement.
“This issue is of personal importance to me and I look forward to working closely with Dan Snyder to make sure we continue the mission of honoring and supporting Native Americans and our Military,” Rivera said.
Washington’s statement continued by saying the “review can and will be conducted with the best interest of all in mind.”
The franchise has had its current nickname since 1933.
- Tom Holmoe Sends Message To BYU Ticket Holders Amid Uncertainty With Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2077)
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1982)
- Bingham Football Game Against Weber Canceled After Miner Players Test Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 1411)
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1295)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 888)
- Western Conference Playoffs Outlook After Jazz Tank Vs. Mavs - KSL Sports (pageviews: 705)
- BYU Announces Football Series Against Troy Trojans - KSL Sports (pageviews: 699)
- Heralded BYU Newcomer Kody Epps Already Standing Out During Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 616)
- O'Connell: Who's To Blame For The Cancellation Of College Football? Society. - KSL Sports (pageviews: 597)