Report: NBA Targeting July 31 Return, League Vote Thursday
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The NBA is targeting a return date of July 31 according to Shams Charania of the Athletic. Charania reported that league commissioner Adam Silver and the league office informed teams of the date at Friday’s Board of Governors meeting.
The NBA’s Board of Governors has weekly meetings with Silver regarding updates on the league’s plans. Momentum has shifted in favor of the league’s return over the last several weeks.
“NBA commissioner Adam Silver and the league office informed Board of Governors that July 31 is a target date for return of season,” The tweet read.
The NBA will need to set a date for players to return to their host cities. From there, players can undergo a short quarantine, then return to practice facilities.
Players will have to work their way back into playing shape, then begin team practices. All signs point to the NBA resuming its season at the Disney World Resorts in Orlando. According to The Ringer, the NBA would prefer teams to wait to begin their full team training camps in Orlando.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski, the league’s Board of Governors will vote on whether to restart the NBA season.
“The NBA is planning a Thursday vote of the board of governors,” Wojarnowski tweeted. “With an expectation that owners will approve Adam Silver’s recommendation on a format to re-start the season in Orlando.”
Finishing the Season
League general managers are split on what the return of the NBA season should look like. As a result, four separate plans were reportedly discussed during the call.
One plan consisted of 16 teams returning and beginning immediately with the playoffs. A second plan would welcome 20 teams back to face a group or stage play to set playoff seeding. Meanwhile, a third option would consist of 22 teams with games being played to determine seeding in a play-in tournament. Furthermore, all 30 teams could return to complete a 72 game regular season.
A follow-up tweet from Wojnarowski explained that teams expect “20-to-22 teams to resume the season.”
No concrete plan was expected for the league’s return this weekend. But, teams were hoping to have better guidelines for how to plan for the season’s end.
The July 31 NBA return date is the strongest sign yet of the league’s pending return.
This article will be updated continuously.
- Local Teams Wish Fans Happy Independence Day, Happy Fourth Of July (pageviews: 10696)
- Former MLB Pitcher Tyson Brummett, Three Others Die In Utah Plane Crash (pageviews: 2045)
- Watch Jimmer Fredette Pulling Off Amazing Basketball Trick Shots - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1315)
- Ex-Ute Claims Scalley Used Racial Slur; Reacts To Reinstatement - KSL Sports (pageviews: 788)
- Watch Jimmer Fredette Pulling Off Amazing Basketball Trick Shots - KSL Sports (pageviews: 667)
- Disney Themed NBA Jerseys Feature New Spin On Jazz Purple Mountain Uniform - KSL Sports (pageviews: 592)
- BYU Football Extends Offer To Timpview QB Liu Aumavae - KSL Sports (pageviews: 554)
- Washington Redskins Announce Franchise 'Will Undergo A Thorough Review Of The Team's Name' (pageviews: 525)
- BYU Basketball Roster 2020-21 Built Off Impact Transfers - KSL Sports (pageviews: 503)