Amy Rodriguez Excited To Help Pioneer The Return Of Live Sport In North America
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Royals, along with the remaining eight other NWSL clubs, are preparing to restart their season by joining the Royals in Utah for the 2020 Challenge Cup. The tournament is scheduled to begin on June 27 with the final expected to occur on July 13.
“I am so excited to kick off this tournament. I think the organization, Utah Royals, NWSL and the NWSLPA have all worked really hard to organize a top-notch tournament with a safe place to play,” Utah Royals striker Amy Rodriguez said. “I feel very comfortable with the health regulations, protocols and am really excited to put the boots back on.”
Building A Village
The Royals, with the help of the local state government, will build a village to safely regulate and monitor the players whilst they stay in Utah. The village will include apartment complexes, with each team being designated their own complex, the Zions Bank Training Center, American First Credit Union field and Rio Tinto Stadium all being a part of the village.
Risks associated with the tournament have been discussed at nauseam. The NWSL and the NWSL Players Association has held extensive conversations to best secure the health and safety of all players, staff and key personnel who will make the move to Utah. The concern surrounding family members has also been discussed.
“I am well aware that there are a lot of concerns with all of this. Please do not get me wrong, there has to be a lot of things put in place for this to be a safe and healthy tournament,” Rodriguez said. “Yes, I have had some concerns, the main one being everyone’s health and safety. Myself and my family, in particular. I am a mother of two little boys who live with me here in Utah. What relieves that concern is the health staff that we have here in Utah, the NWSL and the NWSLPA.”
Furthermore, the league has yet to make any public announcement regarding what will occur following the conclusion of the tournament. Utah Royals FC General Manager, Stephanie Lee, confirmed that the club has not been informed of any plans.
For more information regarding the Challenge Cup, click here.
Tom Hackett is a Utah and Real Salt Lake Insider for KSLsports.com and host of the It’s Utah’s World Podcast (Utah Football themed) and The Lion’s Den Podcast (Real Salt Lake themed). Follow him on Twitter: @TomCantHackett.
- Local Teams Wish Fans Happy Independence Day, Happy Fourth Of July (pageviews: 10696)
- Former MLB Pitcher Tyson Brummett, Three Others Die In Utah Plane Crash (pageviews: 2045)
- Watch Jimmer Fredette Pulling Off Amazing Basketball Trick Shots - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1315)
- Ex-Ute Claims Scalley Used Racial Slur; Reacts To Reinstatement - KSL Sports (pageviews: 788)
- Watch Jimmer Fredette Pulling Off Amazing Basketball Trick Shots - KSL Sports (pageviews: 667)
- Disney Themed NBA Jerseys Feature New Spin On Jazz Purple Mountain Uniform - KSL Sports (pageviews: 592)
- BYU Football Extends Offer To Timpview QB Liu Aumavae - KSL Sports (pageviews: 554)
- Washington Redskins Announce Franchise 'Will Undergo A Thorough Review Of The Team's Name' (pageviews: 525)
- BYU Basketball Roster 2020-21 Built Off Impact Transfers - KSL Sports (pageviews: 503)