Reports: NCAA Voting On Extra Year Of Eligibility For Winter, Spring Sport Student-Athletes
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The NCAA will vote on allowing an extra year of eligibility for winter and spring sport student-athletes on March 30, according to a source of Stadium’s Jeff Goodman.
The vote will take place two and a half weeks after the NCAA canceled its annual college basketball championship tournaments on March 12 due to coronavirus concerns.
In addition to the NCAA basketball tournaments, the athletic organization also canceled the remainder of college championships for winter and spring such as baseball’s College World Series and hockey’s Frozen Four tournament.
Utah State earned an automatic berth to the NCAA men’s basketball tourney this season. BYU was expected to be slotted in a quality seed on the bracket as well.
The NCAA released a statement after making the decision to cancel the tournaments.
“This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities,” the statement read.
In addition to the NCAA, the NBA, NHL, MLS, and MLB all suspended play in their leagues due to the coronavirus.
- Bracket: Who Is The State Of Utah's Best College Basketball Player Ever? You Decide. - KSL Sports (pageviews: 4304)
- Taysom Hill As New Orleans Saints QB1 Could Be Sooner Than You Think - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2805)
- How Latter-day Saint Missionaries Returning Early Due To Coronavirus Impacts BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 893)
- Salty 16: Championship: Who Has The Best Fries In The State Of Utah? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 710)
- NCAA Approves Extra Year Of Eligibility For Spring Athletes - KSL Sports (pageviews: 707)
- Possible NFL Landing Spots For Utah DT Leki Fotu - KSL Sports (pageviews: 303)
- (not set) (pageviews: 265)
- Emmanuel Mudiay Reminisced About Greatness Of Jimmer Fredette At BYU - KSL Sports (pageviews: 234)
- Utah Jazz Guard Donovan Mitchell Discusses Coronavirus Recovery On Fellow NBA Player's Podcast (pageviews: 184)