Utah State Walk-On Linebacker Eric Munoz Awarded Scholarship
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State linebacker Eric Munoz is no longer a walk-on for the Aggies. Head coach Gary Andersen awarded the redshirt junior a scholarship on Monday.
Like most coaches who hand out scholarships to their players during the season, they do it when it is least expected.
Andersen wasn’t any different. In their team meeting, he had slides on a projector about Munoz and winning Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week after his performance in their win over Wyoming. The coach reminded his players that it wasn’t like that 14 or 15 days ago and that Munoz put the team in position to win a game that they had to have. On the next slide, it had a picture of Munoz celebrating with his teammates in the locker room after the game.
It said “walk-on linebacker” on the screen. Andersen then said “You know what happens next?” After he said that, a giant red x covers the walk-on label and is replaced by “scholarship.”
After that moment, the entire team erupted and piled on Munoz.
In the win over Wyoming, Munoz finished with a career-high 13 tackles and two interceptions. His second pick clinched the win for the Aggies over the Cowboys. He was emotional after the game when talking to the media.
Munoz is a junior college transfer from San Diego Mesa Community College.
Utah State will host Boise State on Saturday at Maverik Stadium. The game will kickoff at 8:30 p.m. and will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network.
- BYU's Kalani Sitake Sternly Clarifies Cougars' Position On Potential Washington Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 4079)
- Donovan Mitchell Keeps Tweeting At The Uno People - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3426)
- BYU's Matt Haarms Will Be Game-Time Decision For New Orleans (pageviews: 2959)
- Utah Jazz Officially Sign Former BYU Guard Jake Toolson (pageviews: 2595)
- BYU Basketball's Gavin Baxter To Have MRI On Injured Knee - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1180)
- BYU Basketball: Three Observations From Win Over Westminister (pageviews: 1121)
- Podcasts Archives - KSL Sports (pageviews: 869)
- Derrick Favors: Utah 'Feels Like Home' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 777)
- Unrivaled: BYU Must Add Games To Improve College Football Playoff Rankings (pageviews: 649)