Conley Hoping For Cheers in Memphis, Praises His Replacement
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Jazz guard Mike Conley is hoping for a warm welcome from fans of his old team in Memphis tonight as the Jazz prepare to take on the Grizzlies.
“Man, I hope it’s good,” said Conley. “I know…the feeling is mutual, how much I love them and I know they feel the same way. So, I expect it to be a fun game and fun atmosphere.”
After tip-off, the cheering may turn quickly to the guy who replaced Conley as the Grizzlies starting point guard – for good reason.
Ja Morant has been electric in his short career for Memphis, including a game-winning shot over Charlotte on Wednesday.
Morant was Memphis’ Mr. Everything in the Grizzlies 119-117 win over the Hornets. He scored 23 points on 10-15 field goals and showed superb ball-handling skills. Morant also dished out 11 assists in the game.
In 10 games this season, Morant is averaging 18.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 5.8 assists a game. Conley has been impressed with his replacement.
“He’s a fearless competitor. He has every tool in the bag. (Morant) is an unselfish player, very athletic, obviously. He’s been fun to watch…and he’s not afraid of the moment. And that’s special when you talk about a young player,” said Conley.
Will Conley pull Morant aside and talk to him at some point while he’s in Memphis?
“I’m sure I will get that figured out at some point…I’ve spoken to (former teammates) Jarren (Jackson) and Dillon (Brooks) a lot and they speak very highly of (Morant). So yeah, I want to make sure he takes care of the organization and city. He’s doing a great job. Great job so far,” complimented Conley.
Conley 3-Point Gunner?
Conley shot 426 3-pointers last season which is the most of his career. So far this season, he’s jacked up 64 triples. Conley wasn’t aware that he had shot that many 3-pointers while playing for the Jazz, but he’s also not hunting the shot.
“(The shots) are just coming in the flow of the game. I’m not forcing anything. I’m getting them where the ball finds me. And as long as I’m sitting there and I’m shooting confidently and making them I’m gonna keep shooting them,” Conley said.
- UHSAA Unanimously Approves Fall Sports, Activities Amid Coronavirus Pandemic (pageviews: 8852)
- Report: Pac-12 Moving To Conference-Only Football Schedule For 2020 Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3709)
- What Might The BYU Football Schedule Look Like If Leagues Go Conference-Only - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1859)
- Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden Says Allegiant Stadium Is 'The Greatest Thing I've Ever Seen' (pageviews: 1303)
- Pac-12 Conference Announces Conference-Only Schedules For 2020 Football, Other Fall Sports (pageviews: 994)
- BYU Responds To Big Ten Scheduling Change, Will 'Continue Discussions With Other Universities' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 980)
- BYU-Utah Football Rivalry Game Officially Canceled As Pac-12 Goes Conference-Only - KSL Sports (pageviews: 623)
- Brandon Davies Signs Contract Extension With FC Barcelona - KSL Sports (pageviews: 412)
- Big Ten Conference Announces Conference-Only 2020 Schedules For Fall Sports (pageviews: 399)