Utah’s Fotu Named Semifinalist For Man Of The Year Award
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah defensive lineman Leki Fotu was named as a semifinalist for the 2019 Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award.
Fotu was honored as a semifinalist for the award on Wednesday, November 13.
The Utes’ lineman is one of 20 semifinalists for the award that “demonstrated a record of leadership by exhibiting exceptional courage, integrity and sportsmanship both on and off the field.”
— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) November 13, 2019
“Fotu is a two-time member of the Utah Athletic Department Honor Roll, and he overcame the devastating loss of both his father and sister within weeks of each other. He is also heavily involved in team community service activities in Utah,” said the Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year award.
What is the Collegiate Man of the Year Award?
The Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year award is given each year to “the Division I college football player who has demonstrated a record of leadership by exhibiting exceptional courage, integrity and sportsmanship both on and off the field.”
Nominees for the award were submitted by Sports Information Directors from schools around the country.
“It’s always a collaborative effort with the football program to nominate the player that best fits an award,” Utah Athletics told KSLSports.com.
The award outlines the following as criteria for nominating a player:
- The nominee must be a player that has established himself as a leader both on and off the playing field.
- The nominee should have also excelled in his performance on the field for his team during the 2019 season.
- Anecdotal information and/or testimonials about the nominee’s integrity and leadership are highly encouraged.
- Team captains are preferred, though status as team captain is not required for consideration.
- Starting players are preferred, though it is not required for consideration.
- The nominee must be enrolled in a degree program, in good academic standing, and on track to graduate.
- Weight is given to those applications that list documented community service activity. This can include activity at schools, hospitals, after-school clubs, religious organizations, and other non-profits.
Finalists for the award are selected by the award’s board of directors. Three finalists were will be announced on December 16.
The award winner is selected by a panel of former players and coaches, as well as media.
2019’s winner will be announced on February 18, 2020.
The award is in its third year of existence.
2018’s inaugural winner was UCF’s Shaquem Griffin. Wisconsin’s D’Cota Dixon won the honor last season.
Utah Utes Scoreboard
Utah Utes Team Leaders
Utah Utes Standings