Utah Vs. BYU: How To Watch, Listen, Or Stream Rivalry Game
Aug 26, 2019, 11:00 AM | Updated: Aug 29, 2019, 11:00 am
(Photo by Gene Sweeney Jr/Getty Images)
PROVO, Utah – The 14th ranked Utah Utes travel 45 miles south to take on their rival the BYU Cougars to open up the 2019 college football season for both teams.
Here’s everything you need to know for Thursday night’s game.
Where: Provo, Utah (LaVell Edwards Stadium – 63,725)
When: Thursday, August 29th, 10:20 p.m. ET/8:20 p.m. MT
Radio: KSL Newsradio via the BYU Sports Network (Greg Wrubell, Riley Nelson, and Mitchell Juergens)
102.7 FM, 1160 AM, KSL Newsradio App (iOS/Google Play)
No. 14 Utah Notes
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Colors: University Red, Black, Gray
Athletic Director: Mark Harlan
Head Coach: Kyle Whittingham (120-61 record as head coach at Utah)
Offensive Coordinator: Andy Ludwig
Defensive Coordinator: Morgan Scalley
Location: Provo, Utah
Colors: Navy Blue, White, Royal Blue
Athletic Director: Tom Holmoe
Head Coach: Kalani Sitake (20-19 record as head coach at BYU)
Offensive Coordinator: Jeff Grimes
Defensive Coordinator: Ilaisa Tuiaki
MORE: BYU vs. Utah
- Best Quotes From BYU vs. Utah Football Rivalry
- Kalani Sitake Has Experienced BYU-Utah Rivalry From All Angles
- Utah Has Won Big Games In Provo
- How Many Touches Will Zack Moss Get Against BYU?
Utah/BYU Series History
Overall: Utah leads series 58-31-4 (according to BYU’s record book)
At BYU: Utah leads 20-15-1
At Utah: Utah leads 37-16-3
Neutral: Utah leads 1-0
Last Meeting: November 24th, 2018 – Utah 35, BYU 27
Streak: Utah, Won 8
What To Watch For
– Utah’s preseason AP Top 25 ranking of 14 is the highest pre-season ranking the Utes have ever received entering a season.
– Utah is looking for their ninth consecutive victory in the rivalry matchup. The last time a team in the series won nine straight was BYU from 1979-1987.
– BYU’s last win against Utah was 10 years ago in the 2009 season.
– BYU is 10-8 under head coach Kalani Sitake in games played at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
– Last season, BYU had a 27-7 lead late in the third quarter before Utah then scored 28 unanswered to come away with a victory.
– Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham is 11-3 against BYU as head coach of the Utes.
– BYU sophomore quarterback Zach Wilson threw for 204 passing yards on 20-of-29 attempts and ran for 73 rushing yards.
– Utah running back Zack Moss, a pre-season Doak Walker candidate, returns for his senior season with the Utes. Moss is 572 yards away from passing Eddie Johnson as Utah’s all-time leading career rusher.
– Utah’s defensive line was voted by College Football Insider Phil Steele as the No. 1 defensive line in the country for the 2019 season.
– BYU’s defense in 2018 was 18th nationally in total defense allowing only 324.1 yards per game.
Mitch Harper is a BYU Insider for KSLsports.com and host of the Cougar Tracks Podcast and Cougar Sports Saturday (Saturday from 12-3 pm) on KSL Newsradio. Follow him on Twitter: @Mitch_Harper.