Deseret News’ Eric Woodyard Confirms Donovan Mitchell Shoe Release
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – KSL SportsBeat was joined by the Deseret News’ Utah Jazz beat writer Eric Woodyard to discuss the team’s offseason, the trade for Mike Conley and the upcoming release of Donovan Mitchell’s signature shoe.
A noted sneaker enthusiast who is often seen wearing the newest and freshest kicks while on the job, Woodyard confirmed that Mitchell’s shoe, the Adidas D.O.N. Issue #1, is scheduled to be available in stores on July 5 for a retail price of $100. Mitchell debuted the shoe in the NBA Playoffs.
Woodyard also speculated that Adidas could be dropping the shoe in a special event perhaps a few days earlier than the retail release.
“They might even be doing something as early as July 1st with it,” said Woodyard.
On the potential craze that local retailers like Foot Locker and Champs can expect, it’s going to be a madhouse on July 5, according to Woodyard.
“It’s going to be crazy,” said Woodyard to KSL Sports’ Jeremiah Jensen.
In receiving his first signature sneaker from Adidas, Mitchell joins a select group of highly marketable, elite athletes who have a signature sneaker. Adidas also boasts signature shoe models for Damian Lillard and James Harden, while Nike produces signature kicks for Kyrie Irving, Paul George, LeBron James and is set to debut a shoe for Giannis Antetokounmpo in July as well.
At $100, the shoe is a bargain for families looking to put their basketball-crazy kids in a top tier shoe, worn by their favorite player. According to Mitchell, keeping the price affordable was a special request he made to Adidas as they designed the shoe.
The shoe is set to be released in conjunction with the latest Marvel movie, Spider-Man: Far From Home, which will be theatres on July 2. As such the first colorway of Mitchell’s shoe will be in Spider-Man’s signature red and blue and have Marvel branding inside the shoe and on the box. Other colorways are set to release in the near future.
KSL Sports’ Austin Facer, also a big sneaker fan, had a comprehensive Twitter thread on information about the shoe and its release.
- BYU's Kalani Sitake Sternly Clarifies Cougars' Position On Potential Washington Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2904)
- Donovan Mitchell Keeps Tweeting At The Uno People - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2322)
- BYU Football Comes In At No. 14 In College Football Playoff Rankings (pageviews: 2210)
- Utah Football Game Against Arizona State Canceled Due To COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1624)
- Utah Jazz Officially Sign Former BYU Guard Jake Toolson (pageviews: 1227)
- BYU's Matt Haarms Will Be Game-Time Decision For New Orleans (pageviews: 864)
- BYU Basketball: Three Observations From Win Over Westminister (pageviews: 728)
- Derrick Favors: Utah 'Feels Like Home' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 681)
- Britain Covey Confirms Hamstring Injury In #GiveThanks Instagram Post - KSL Sports (pageviews: 652)