Thunderbirds Get Revenge On Idaho State With Close Win
CEDAR CITY, Utah – Southern Utah extended its conference winning streak to three with a 78-72 victory over Idaho State.
The Thunderbirds were coming off an impressive 65-53 victory over Weber State on Thursday. However, the Bengals most likely entered the game with plenty of confidence after having beaten SUU by 20 points in an 88-68 drubbing on Jan. 3.
T-Birds Clamp Down In Second Half
Both teams played an even first half. Both the Bengals and the Thunderbirds made 50 percent of their field goals from beyond the arc and had an equal amount of rebounds with 17 each.
Dre Marin’s buzzer-beating layup tied the game up at 42-all at the halftime break.
Andre Adams started the game hot, making six of his first eight shots for 12 points in the first half.
The Bengals grabbed an early lead in the second half, but SUU responded with a quick 10-0 run while holding Idaho State without a score for nearly seven minutes. In that stretch, the Bengals missed 10 straight shots.
Finally, the lid came off the basket for the Bengals with a pair of made free throws by Balint Mocsan. That was followed by a made jumper by Brandon Boyd and after a couple more shots, the game was tied at 63-all with five minutes remaining.
The Thunderbirds buckled down coming down the wire, connecting on five of their last seven shots to come away with the victory.
Four SUU players finished in double-figures, led by Adams, who had 16 points and completed the double-double with 10 rebounds.
As a team, the Thunderbirds made 50 percent of their shots on the floor and drained 9-of-24 attempts from beyond the arc.
SUU will hit the road to face Sacramento State on Thursday at 8:05 p.m.
The Thunderbirds previously defeated the Hornets 76-71 at home on Jan. 19.
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2350)
- Bingham Football Game Against Weber Canceled After Miner Players Test Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 1546)
- BYU Announces Football Series Against Troy Trojans - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1502)
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1464)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1122)
- Dixie State Football Team Pulls Woman To Safety After Her Hair Gets Caught In Rappelling Rope - KSL Sports (pageviews: 586)
- Heralded BYU Newcomer Kody Epps Already Standing Out During Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 584)
- College Football Conferences, Teams Still Planning To Play Fall Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 522)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 460)