Markkanen Throws Down Back-To-Back All-Star Dunks
Feb 19, 2023, 7:28 PM | Updated: Feb 21, 2023, 3:20 pm
SALT LAKE CITY – Lauri Markkanen continued his strong start to the All-Star game adding another pair of highlight reel dunks in the second quarter.
Markkanen first caught an alley-oop from Toronto Raptors forward Pascal Siakam, then followed it up with a double-pump reverse dunk.
They were Jazz forward’s fourth and fifth baskets of the game as he brought his scoring total to 11.
Lauri Markkanen gets his fourth bucket of the game, another alley-oop, this time rom Pascal Siakam.
He then follows it up with a reverse double-pump jam.
He's up to 11 points. #takenote | #NBAAllStarhttps://t.co/RZctIhmewo
— KSL Sports (@kslsports) February 20, 2023
Markkanen Making First All-Star Appearance
Markkanen is making his first All-Star appearance Sunday night as the star-studded weekend comes to a close in Utah.
The Jazz forward is the team’s lone representative in front of the home crowd and should get plenty of opportunity to prove he belongs.
After a stellar start to his career with the Jazz, Markkanen was chosen by NBA coaches as a reserve for the All-Star game and was bumped up to a starting position due to injuries.
View this post on Instagram
Markkanen has the unique opportunity to represent both Utah as the league host, and his country, becoming the first Finnish player to be named an NBA All-Star.
“Being in the hometown and having my family here and having them experiencing everything with me, I think that’s been pretty cool,” Markkanen said.
The Jazz forward is having a career year in Utah, averaging 24.9 points and 8.8 rebounds, proving why he was worthy of a top-seven pick in the 2017 NBA Draft.
Markkanen was the final pick of the starters during the pre-All-Star draft on Sunday night being selected by Milwaukee Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo.
Team LeBron includes the following NBA All-Stars:
- Anthony Edwards (Minnesota Timberwolves)
- Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics)
- Paul George (Los Angeles Clippers)
- Tyrese Haliburton (Indiana Pacers)
- Julius Randle (New York Knicks)
- De’Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings)
- Jaren Jackson Jr. (Memphis Grizzlies)
- Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers)
- Kyrie Irving (Dallas Mavericks)
Luka Dončić (Dallas Mavericks)
Nikola Jokić (Denver Nuggets)
- LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers)
Team Giannis includes the following NBA All-Stars:
- Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers)
- Jrue Holiday (Milwaukee Bucks)
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- DeMar DeRozan (Chicago Bulls)
- Pascal Siakam (Toronto Raptors)
- Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat)
- Domantas Sabonis (Sacramento Kings)
- Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics)
- Ja Morant (Memphis Grizzlies)
- Donovan Mitchell (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Lauri Markkanen (Utah Jazz)
- Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks)
Download the new & improved KSL Sports app from Utah’s sports leader. You can stream live radio, video and stay up to date on all of your favorite teams.
Ben Anderson is the Utah Jazz insider for KSL Sports and the co-host of Jake and Ben from 10-12p with Jake Scott on 97.5 The KSL Sports Zone. Find Ben on Twitter at @BensHoops or on Instagram @BensHoops.
Utah Jazz Scoreboard
Utah Jazz Team Leaders
Utah Jazz Standings