Jake Oldroyd Makes First Kick As BYU Starting Kicker Against East Carolina
PROVO, Utah – The BYU football team got on the board first against East Carolina thanks to a 36-yard field goal from Jake Oldroyd.
Oldroyd lost the field goal-kicking job earlier in the season, but struggles from Justen Smith opened the door for Oldroyd to earn the job back.
Nice to see Jake Oldroyd have a kick through the uprights.
— Matthew Baiamonte (@baiamontematt) October 29, 2022
The defense forced a much-needed three-and-out on the first possession of the game, giving the ball to the offense.
Jaren Hall and an effective running game led the offense down the field into scoring range.
BYU ran the ball on seven of their nine plays on the opening drive.
They kept the drive alive early thanks to a pass interference call on a long ball intended for Keanu Hill.
BYU’s game against Liberty is being broadcast on ESPN2 and KSL NewsRadio.
BYU Football Notes Versus ECU
- The all-time series between the two teams is 1-1. BYU’s victory was in 2015, with Tanner Mangum at quarterback.
- Weather forecast calls for a low of 30 degrees this evening. The sunset will take place at 6:28 p.m. (MT).
- BYU is 8-3 overall in Friday night games in the Kalani Sitake era (since 2016).
- BYU will be without their leading running back Chris Brooks and leading receiver Kody Epps due to injury.
- East Carolina is led by coach Mike Houston. Houston graduated from an out-of-this-world name for a college, Mars Hill University (’94), which is located in North Carolina.
- Last week, ECU defeated a future Big 12 program in UCF. They will look for their second consecutive win over a Big 12 team tonight in BYU.
- TV announcers for tonight’s game include former 1989 Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware as the analyst. Ware has been known to give high praise to BYU in the past. Back in 2009, he predicted BYU to defeat Oklahoma. Then from 2018-20, Ware was the leader of the Zach Wilson fan club when he was the QB at BYU.
- East Carolina is 7th nationally in third down conversion percentage at 52.5%. BYU’s defense is 128th in, stopping their opponents on third down.
BYU Cougars Scoreboard
BYU Cougars Team Leaders
BYU Cougars Standings