BYU WR Puka Nacua Explodes For 46 Yards, Cougars’ First TD Against Liberty
SALT LAKE CITY – BYU wide receiver Puka Nacua showed off his ability to get yards after the catch on a touchdown reception for the Cougars’ first points against the Liberty Flames.
The Flames hosted the Cougars at Williams Stadium in Lynchburg, Virginia on Saturday, October 22.
With 4:14 remaining in the opening quarter and the Cougars facing a 3rd & 11, BYU quarterback Jaren Hall hit Nacua with a short pass before the explosive wideout weaved his way down the field for 46 yards and six points.
— 𝗙𝗢𝗟𝗟𝗢𝗪 @𝗙𝗧𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱𝟳 (@FTBeard7) October 22, 2022
Nacua’s touchdown got the Cougars on the scoreboard and gave BYU a 7-3 lead.
After the score, Nacua had two catches for 54 yards and a touchdown. The former Orem High standout also had one carry for nine yards. Hall was 4/6 passing for 76 yards and a touchdown.
Nacua entered the contest with 12 receptions for 189 yards and a touchdown this season.
— KSL Sports (@kslsports) October 22, 2022
BYU vs. Liberty
A game that is important for both teams for different reasons.
BYU is facing much scrutiny for how poorly the defense played last week. After losing two winnable games, will they get their season back on track?
For Liberty, today’s game is a Super Bowl for the Flames. They are walking into the vision once set by Jerry Falwell Sr. 50 years ago when he established the university in Lynchburg, Virginia.
BYU is 4-3 overall on the season, while Liberty is already bowl-eligible with a 6-1 record.
— Mitch Harper (@Mitch_Harper) October 22, 2022
- Third time in BYU football history that the Cougars are playing a game in Virginia (2000 & 2013 at Virginia).
- BYU leads the all-time series against Liberty, 1-0. The previous meeting was in 2019 in Provo (BYU 31, Liberty 24)
- ESPN’s Rece Davis picked Liberty as his “Superdog” pick against BYU.
- Beautiful weather conditions are expected at Williams Stadium. The forecast calls for a high of 71 degrees and sunny.
- Today is Liberty’s first-ever sold-out home football game.
- Both teams are playing out their final seasons as FBS Independents. For BYU, the Cougars are moving on to the Big 12 Conference. While Liberty will begin play in Conference USA next season.
BYU Cougars Scoreboard
BYU Cougars Team Leaders
BYU Cougars Standings