Report: Jazz Head Coach Candidate Promoted On Bucks Staff
SALT LAKE CITY – Utah Jazz head coach candidate Charles Lee received a promotion on the Milwaukee Bucks’ staff, according to The Athletic’s Sham Charania.
The NBA insider reported Lee’s promotion on Saturday, June 11.
“Sources: Bucks are promoting assistant Charles Lee to associate head coach under Mike Budenholzer,” Charania tweeted. “Lee has been a head coaching candidate for several teams over the past two seasons, and remains a candidate for the Jazz’s current opening. Milwaukee prioritized a new deal for Lee.”
Sources: Bucks are promoting assistant Charles Lee to associate head coach under Mike Budenholzer. Lee has been a head coaching candidate for several teams over the past two seasons, and remains a candidate for the Jazz’s current opening. Milwaukee prioritized a new deal for Lee.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) June 11, 2022
Lee was first reported as one of Utah’s initial candidates to fill the head coaching vacancy left by Quin Snyder’s resignation earlier in June.
Like Snyder, Lee has served as an assistant coach under Bucks head coach Mike Budenholzer. Lee has been an assistant for Budenholzer with both the Atlanta Hawks and Bucks.
Another one of Budenholzer’s assistant coaches with the Bucks, Darvin Ham, was hired as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers earlier in June.
Prior to his time in the NBA, Lee was a professional basketball player overseas for four years. He also coached college basketball as an assistant at Bucknell from 2012-14.
In 2021, Lee helped the Bucks win the NBA title.
POLL: Who should the @utahjazz hire as Quin Snyder's replacement? 🗳#TakeNote #NBA #NBATwitter @BensHoopshttps://t.co/BmdRhHN8Zl
— KSL Sports (@kslsports) June 9, 2022
Other Utah Jazz Head Coach Candidates
Former NBA Head Coaches
Terry Stotts: Former Portland Trail Blazers Head Coach
- Prior to his successful nine-year stretch in Portland, Stotts oversaw the both the Atlanta Hawks and Milwaukee Bucks.
- Led Trail Blazers to eight playoff appearances in nine seasons.
- Took Portland to 2019 Western Conference Finals
- Eliminated in first round five of eight postseason appearances.
Frank Vogel: Former Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach
- Has been head coach of the Indiana Pacers, Orlando Magic, and Los Angeles Lakers since 2011.
- Led Lakers to 2020 NBA Title in the bubble
- Pacers all-time winningest head coach
- Two-time NBA All-Star Game Head Coach
Jazz Current And Former Assistant Coaches
Alex Jensen: Utah Jazz Assistant Coach
- Jazz Assistant Coach since 2013
- Head Coach of G League Canton Charge
- G League Coach of the Year in 2013
- Assistant Coach of German National Team
- Former star at University of Utah
Lamar Skeeter: Utah Jazz Assistant Coach
- With Jazz since 2014 as Developmental Coach and Assistant Coach
- Former video intern with the Atlanta Hawks
- Played at Walsh University in Canton, Ohio
Johnnie Bryant: New York Knicks Assistant Coach
- Jazz Assistant Coach from 2014-2020
- Associated Head Coach of Knicks from 2020-Current
- Player Development Coach prior to joining Jazz
- Former University of Utah guard
Top NBA Assistants
Will Hardy: Boston Celtics Assistant
- Celtics Assistant Coach under Ime Udoka 2021-Current
- San Antonio Spurs Assistant Coach 2013-2020
- Spurs Summer League Coach 2015-2018
- Assistant Coach for Team USA at the 2019 FIBA World Cup
Adrian Griffin: Toronto Raptors Assistant
- NBA Assistant since 2008 for Milwaukee Bucks, Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic, Oklahoma City Thunder, Toronto Raptors
- Interviewed for Jazz Head Coaching job in 2014
- Won NBA Title in 2019 with Raptors
- Nine-year NBA career as player
Kevin Young: Phoenix Suns Assistant
- NBA Assistant since 2017 for Philadelphia 76ers and Phoenix Suns
- Former G League Head Coach with Utah Flash, Iowa Energy, and Deleware 87ers
- Former Utah Valley Assistant Coach
- Salt Lake City Native
Chris Quinn: Miami Heat Assistant
- Heat Assistant since 2014
- Northwestern Assistant Coach 2013-14
- Six-year NBA career as a player
- Former Notre Dame star
Joe Mazulla: Boston Celtics Assistant
- Celtics Assistant since 2019
- Fairmont State Head Coach from 2017-19
- G League Assistant 2016-17
- Played at West Virginia from 2006-11
Sean Sweeney: Dallas Mavericks Assistant
- Mavericks Assistant since 2021
- Previously an assistant coach for the Detroit Pistons, Milwaukee Bucks, and Brooklyn Nets
- Video coordinator for University of Northern Iowa (2010-11)
- Previously the Director of Basketball Operations at University of Evansville
- Played college basketball at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and University of St. Thomas (Saint Paul)
Utah Jazz Scoreboard
Utah Jazz Team Leaders
Utah Jazz Standings