Red Rocks Head To Seattle For Regionals-Where, How To Watch
Mar 30, 2022, 4:05 PM
(Spenser Heaps, Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY- Post season competition begins for the fourth ranked Red Rocks, Thursday, March 31st at 8 p.m. MT. The first round of the Seattle Regional will feature two semi-final sessions at Alaska Airlines Arena.
It’s 𝗥𝗘𝗚𝗜𝗢𝗡𝗔𝗟𝗦 𝗪𝗘𝗘𝗞! 🙌https://t.co/u4gtagkqHR
— Utah Gymnastics (@UtahGymnastics) March 28, 2022
The earlier semi-final session takes place Thursday at 2 p.m. MT with #5 Alabama, #12 Michigan State, BYU and hosts Washington vying for a place in Saturday’s Regional Final. In the later semi-final session, Utah will be tasked with fending off #13 Oregon State, and the winner of the Stanford/San Jose State play-in meet being held Wednesday, March 30th.
Utah will start their semi-final on floor and then move to vault, bars and wrap up on their best event; beam.
The top two finishers from each semi-final will advance to the Seattle Regional Final on Saturday, April 2nd at 6 p.m. MT. The Seattle Regional Final will also be held at Alaska Airlines Arena.
How To Watch
Both of the Seattle Regional semi-finals as well as the Seattle Regional final will be broadcast on ESPN+. Bart Conner and Kathy Johnson will serve as commentators for all Seattle Regional events.
Red Rocks Post Season History
- The Red Rocks are the only NCAA gymnastics team to qualify for all 45 national championships. If they make it past their regional competition this week they will have made 46 straight trips to Nationals.
- Utah has won 32 of their regionals, and placed second the other 13 times to qualify for Nationals.
Awards And Recognition To Date
- The Red Rocks won their fifth Pac-12 Title on March 19th since joining the league in 2011. (Eighth title if you count the three regular season championships the league started in 2020.)
- Utah earned Pac-12 titles in all four events during the championship meet. Alexia Burch on vault, Abby Paulson on beam, and Grace McCallum with bars outright and a share of floor.
- Abby Paulson’s win on beam is the second of her career.
- Maile O’Keefe took home the 2022 Pac-12 Specialist of the Year award after being a stalwart for the Red Rocks on bars, beam, and floor through the regular season.
- Ten Red Rocks were named All-Pac-12 in at least one event.
- Grace McCallum swept first team All-Pac-12 honors in every individual event as well as the all-around. She is the first Red Rock to do so since 2018.
- Five Utah gymnasts landed on the All-Pac-12 beam team. McCallum, O’Keefe, Paulson, and Cristal Isa all earned first-team honors while Amelie Morgan was an honorable mention.
Utah Utes Scoreboard
Utah Utes Team Leaders
Utah Utes Standings