Former Utah Utes WR Steve Smith Starts Scholarship For Underprivileged Students
SALT LAKE CITY – Former Utah Utes star wide receiver Steve Smith has started a scholarship at his alma mater with the goal of aiding underprivileged students.
The Steve and Angie Smith Young Alumni Scholarship was announced by the University of Utah alumni Twitter account on Thursday afternoon. Smith’s goal for the scholarship is to aid underprivileged students in affording their education.
Each year, the Office of Alumni Relations will present an incoming freshman undergraduate at the University of Utah with the Steve and Angie Smith Young Alumni Scholarship in the amount of $6,000.
The student that will receive the scholarship who:
- Is a first-generation college student or represents at-risk and/or underrepresented student populations.
- Demonstrates financial need.
- Will enhance the diversity of the student body at the University of Utah.
Smith has been heavily involved with his alma mater since he retired from the NFL in 2016 after 16 seasons. He is seen at multiple Utah football practices and games when he isn’t working for the NFL Network.
Students that are interested in applying for the Steve and Angie Smith Young Alumni Scholarship must:
- Be an incoming freshman at the University of Utah for the 2022-23 academic year
- Have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 2.5
- Be a first-generation college student or represent at-risk and/or underrepresented student populations
- Demonstrate financial need
- Enhance the diversity of the student body at the University of Utah
- Not be a current recipient of an athletic scholarship at the University of Utah
Students that fit that criteria are asked to apply, here.
Trevor Allen is a Utah Utes Insider for KSLSports.com, Co-Host of Faith, Family and Football podcast with Clark Phillips III and host of the Crimson Corner podcast. Follow him on Twitter: @TrevorASports.
Utah Utes Scoreboard
Utah Utes Team Leaders
Utah Utes Standings