Possible Scenarios That Could Land Utah Into The Rose Bowl
SALT LAKE CITY – We are heading down the home stretch of the regular season in college football which means the bowl projections and scenarios are out.
Utah football has everything still to play for besides a berth in the College Football Playoff. ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI) is in favor of Utah reaching the Pac-12 Championship Game and winning their first every title in the conference.
According to the FPI, Utah has a 98.7% chance to win their division and 53.2% chance to win the Pac-12 title. Oregon has a 93.2% chance to win the north and a 44.7% chance to win the conference crown for a third straight season.
The crazy stat is the FPI has Utah at a 65% chance to go to the Rose Bowl if they lose to Oregon this weekend at Rice-Eccles Stadium. But only a 35% chance to go to the Rose Bowl if they win on Saturday.
Those are just percentages by a power index. We’ll let the football play itself out.
A reader did the math and, using ESPN FPI, Utah currently has a 65% chance of going to the Rose Bowl if they lose to Oregon this weekend, but only a 35% chance of going to the Rose Bowl if they win.https://t.co/hsAq1wWafe pic.twitter.com/iZZGtABuKC
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) November 16, 2021
Possible Scenarios For Utah Football To Get Into The Rose Bowl
While we are on the subject, there are some scenarios for Utah when it comes to their postseason bowl games.
Utah fans will be thrilled and mad at the three scenarios that I am about to give you that would land Utah into the Rose Bowl.
- Utah beats Oregon on Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium, beats Colorado next week and knocks off Oregon again but in the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Utah loses to Oregon both at home and the Pac-12 title game, beats Colorado and Oregon wins the rest of their games.
- Utah loses to Oregon at home, beats Colorado and knocks off the Ducks in Las Vegas to win the Pac-12 title.
Now, what if Oregon beats Utah both times but loses to Oregon State? Utah would be in the Alamo Bowl. The scenario that all Utah fans are hoping for is beating the Ducks twice and making their first appearance in the Rose Bowl.
The only way that Utah goes to the Alamo Bowl is if Oregon doesn’t make the Playoff.
Utah and Oregon will kickoff at 5:30 p.m. MT on Saturday, November 20 on ABC.
Trevor Allen is a Utah Utes Insider for KSLSports.com, Co-Host of Faith, Family and Football podcast with Clark Phillips III and host of the Crimson Corner podcast. Follow him on Twitter: @TrevorASports.
Utah Utes Scoreboard
Utah Utes Team Leaders
Utah Utes Standings