Jazz At 76ers: Game Thread
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Welcome to the KSL Sports Game Thread as the Utah Jazz look to end the first half of the regular season with a win over the Philadelphia 76ers.
The Jazz have lost two of their last three games on to open their road trip, but can secure momentum heading into the hiatus with a victory over the 76ers.
Philadelphia meanwhile is just 5-5 in their last 10 games and is fighting to hold onto the top seed in the Eastern Conference with a win.
Follow this page throughout the night for updates on pregame quotes, starting lineups, and highlights and thoughts during the night.
With just one game remaining before the All-Star break, 76ers coach Doc Rivers was asked about what he expects from his team in their last regular-season appearance.
“I don’t know if I look for anything one way or the other,” Rivers said. “It’s just another game in a long season, but it’s typically a hard game for both teams.”
Last season Miami came into Utah on the last game of a long road trip before the All-Star break and despite building a five-point lead at halftime, quit in the second half and lost by 15. That same Miami team won the East eight months later.
There will be a lot read into this game between the two top teams in their conferences, but the results may not be a strong indicator of the second half of the season.
- After getting the first bucket of the game the Jazz give up an 8-0 run.
- Great start for Donovan Mitchell who has 8 straight points of his own.
- 76ers defense has looked awful considering they have two DPOY frontrunners.
- A lot of good ball movement in the first quarter from all of the Jazz ball handlers. Pretty basketball.
- Jazz have been hampered by slow starts recently so this is a good sign in Philadelphia.
- Jordan Clarkson banks in a three, that has to be a bad sign for the 76ers who saw him score 40 the last time these two teams played.
- The 76ers aren’t finishing possessions well either allowing late baskets to fall or giving up second chance points.
- Jazz scorching hot and lead 43-30 early in the second thanks to a 5-0 run from Mike Conley.
- This is the best the Jazz have looked so far on this road trip.
- Georges Niang’s knowledge of what to do with the ball between 7-15 feet is really important.
- We talk about his three-point shooting but he’s a weapon in that awkward in-between space that defenses are happy to give up.
- The Jazz ball movement has ceased and they look to be targeting Tobias Harris in some iso situations.
- Truthfully I think they’re just trying to stay away from Ben Simmons, Matisse Thybulle, and Shake Milton who has been aggressive early.
- 76ers trim the Jazz lead to just four but a three from Mitchell gives the Jazz some breathing room.
- Jazz extend the run to 7 and lead by 11. Nice answer early in the third quarter.
- Philly gets some good looks after their timeout and see a three finally drop and now the Jazz lead by just three.
- Jazz have had an answer all night can they figure it out here.
- Big sequence as Joe Ingles gets away with a foul against Embiid and it results in a three for Royce O’Neale. Big swing.
- After the Jazz open the quarter with a three, Philly goes on an 8-0 run and this game is tied at 92.
- Embiid and Royce O’Neale are back in the locker room for their teams.
- A lot of contact going uncalled against the 76ers defense.
- Embiid and O’Neale both back in the game.
- One of Donovan Mitchell’s best games this season. He’s not trying to win it by himself, but his patience and willingness to pick his spots has been huge.
- Jazz hit their 20th three on a corner deep ball from Bogdanovic. Big shot.
- Joel Embiid hits a huge three with 7 seconds remaining to tie the game and send it to overtime.
- Referees have a really tough time sorting this game out and have ruined all rhythm.
- Mitchell gets ejected after two technical fouls with 28 seconds left.
- Jazz didn’t execute well in overtime, but the refs really killed the enjoyment in this game.