Game Night Live Rewind: Top Plays From Final Week Of Boys Hoops’ Regular Season
Feb 21, 2021, 1:55 PM
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah high school basketball regular season is officially over but there were plenty of great plays during the last week of the season.
Plenty of buzzer beaters, top performances, flashy dunks and impressive passes filled the week of prep basketball with excitement.
Before we start looking ahead to the state tournaments, here is the Game Night Live Rewind top 5 play and performances from the final week of the regular season.
#5 Bonneville Tip-In At The Horn
The Bonneville Lakers had 0.4 seconds on the clock and were down by two to Woods Cross in the second quarter. They had an inbounds pass on the sideline near midcourt. Koy Dixon threw a deep pass to the opposite side of the hoop/sideline to Jarom Strate, who quickly tipped the ball into the hoop before the horn sounded.
Bonneville beat Woods Cross 61-56 on February 12. Strate finished with 9 points. The Lakers are the No. 11 seed in the state tournament after finishing the season with a 12-7 record. They will host No. 22 Hillcrest in the first round on Wednesday, February 24 at 7 p.m.
- Dixie drills three-pointer at the buzzer to end third quarter.
- South Summit makes three at the horn to end first quarter.
- Riverton hits three while getting fouled.
- Taylorsville nails deep three to end first quarter.
#4 Bountiful Big Throws No-Look Pass For Corner Three
Bountiful big man Robert Whaley had the ball in the post when he whipped the ball to his left without looking. He found Henry Smith for an open three-pointer against Woods Cross. The Braves beat the Wildcats 71-63 on February 17. Whaley finished with 30 points, while Smith knocked down three triples for 13 points.
The Braves finished the regular season with a 12-11 record. They are the No. 10 seed in the 5A state tournament. Bountiful will host No. 23 Orem on Wednesday, February 24 at 7 p.m.
- Fremont finds big man in the middle for easy finish.
- Hillcrest player finds cutting teammate for layup.
- Olympus patiently throws low pass in the post for back-cut layup and-one.
- South Summit forward throws pass behind defenders back for open layup.
- Weber forward whips pass over shoulder to open teammate in the corner for a three.
- Lone Peak player goes airborne under rim to find big for and-one layup.
- Desert Hills guard throws post pass between two defenders for easy finish.
#3 Timpanogos Player Fakes Out Defender, Switches Direction For Wide Open Dunk
In the regular season finale, Timpanogos’ Jackson Holcombe dribbled to the right side with a defender on his back. He faked towards the middle, forcing the defender to react before he switch direction towards the sideline and had a wide open lane for a dunk.
Holcombe finished with 38 points in their 77-74 win over Lehi. The Timberwolves ended the regular season with a 13-10 record. They received the No. 6 seed in the 5A state tournament and will host No. 27 East on Wednesday, February 24 at 7 p.m.
- Box Elder steals pass for wide open dunk.
- Layton big throws down open court jam.
- Same Layton big finds back-cutting teammate for two-handed slam.
- Ridgeline player drives baseline and throws down dunk over defender.
- Fremont gets two open dunks in back-to-back games.
- Herriman guard misses three, cuts to rim after offensive rebound and throws down dunk.
- Timpanogos player gets to the rim, throwing down with two hands over defender.
- Davis guard hammers down one-handed dunk over defender to complete poster play.
- Payson forward gets fastbreak jam off of great pass.
- Corner Canyon guard threads needle to teammate for two-handed dunk over defender.
- Farmington star throws alley-oop from near midcourt.
- Cyprus player connects with teammate for alley-oop jam.
- Quick passes from Dixie leads to alley-oop dunk.
- Weber gets alley-oop dunk off of open back cut from weak side to begin game.
- Bountiful star throws down five dunks in second half against Box Elder.
#2 Skyridge Guard Fakes Out Defender, Finishes With Reverse Layup
Skyridge’s Parker Christensen received the ball near midcourt when he drove to the basket against Lone Peak. As he got into the paint, he faked a pass to the corner before keeping the ball and finishing with a reverse layup.
The Falcons beat the Knights 92-69 and ended the year with a 14-8 record. They received a first round bye in the 6A state tournament. Skyridge will host the winner of No. 11 Cyprus and No. 22 Syracuse on Friday, February 26 at 7 p.m.
- Green Canyon guard shows skills before nailing midrange jumper.
- Logan player gets layup to go after impressive spin move.
- Maple Mountain guard spins and pump fakes before knocking down floater.
- Snow Canyon guard gets up-and-under layup to go.
- Weber guard completes crossover and finishes with under-handed layup.
- Woods Cross guard finds big man for shot at the rim as time expired with two defenders near him.
- Bountiful star with duck under layup with two defenders.
#1 Cyprus Guard Throws Up Three-Pointer Over Defender To Win At The Buzzer
In their regular season finale against West Jordan, Cyprus was down by one point with 9 seconds left. Quentin Meza had the ball as two West Jordan defenders swarmed him after a screen was set. Meza threw up a three-pointer with one defender on him and it went down to give the Pirates a 46-44 win.
In the win, Meza had 12 points for Cyprus, who finished the regular season with a 15-8 record. They will be the No. 11 seed in the 6A state tournament. Cyprus will host No. 22 Syracuse on Wednesday, February 24 at 7 p.m.
Game Winner #2 this week for your Pirates! 👀🔥#PiratePride @Rewind_Guys @desnewssports @GSDSports @kslsports @preprally @sportstats1 @UTSportsAction1 @SportsCenter @sltribsports @utahprepscores @PrepHoopsUT @CyprusHS pic.twitter.com/fjwcPayJds
— Cyprus Hoops (@CyprusHoops) February 19, 2021
- Timpanogos star goes coast-to-coast in overtime to pick up win.
- Carbon guard nails three to send game to overtime.
- Cyprus big collects offensive rebound and gets putback to go at the buzzer to win the game.
Watch all of the plays from the week at the video at the top of the story.