Expectations Too High For Transfer Portal Players Upon Arrival At New School
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The college football transfer portal is still a relatively new concept that has fans rather excited by the notion that their beloved team can improve immediately.
However, the expectation for transfer portal arrivals is often high, which Tom Hackett and Steve Bartle believe is unfair.
Players enter the transfer portal for various reasons, occasionally they are searching for more playing time, maybe they fell out of love with the coaching staff, a dispute occurred in the locker room, among other reasons. Generally, reasons for a player to enter their name in the transfer portal is because they are unhappy.
“You don’t hear of players that have had success enter their names into the portal,” Hackett said. “If you are a Heisman finalist, you probably aren’t looking to change schools.”
The University of Utah is in a unique position ahead of the 2021 season, they have added a number of high profile transfers including the likes of former Baylor quarterback and four-year starter Charlie Brewer, Texas quarterback Ja’Quinden Jackson, and LSU and Oklahoma running backs Chris Curry and TJ Pledger.
Understandably, the expectation of the likes of Brewer, Curry, and Pledger is high. Utah fans are beyond excited to see how they will impact the 2021 season.
Transferring schools is no easy feat, as was exemplified last year when former South Carolina quarterback Jake Bentley joined Utah but disappointed.
A new playbook, locker room environment, culture, coaching staff among other differences all must be taken into account when attempting to determine a player’s success at a new school.
The expectation is clearly too high for certain individuals. Fans are setting the bar too high and welcoming failures.
- Casey Scott Reflects On The Darkest Days Of His Life While Staying Positive About The Future - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1576)
- Tony Finau Loses The Genesis Invitational In Playoff - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1192)
- UHSAA Releases 2020-21 State Basketball Championship Brackets (pageviews: 758)
- Utah HC Larry Krystkowiak Reacts To Double Dribble Call In Oregon Loss (pageviews: 652)
- Jazz Set Franchise Record For Most Threes In A Single Game In Win Over Hornets - KSL Sports (pageviews: 545)
- BYU Basketball Rounding Into NCAA Form With Blowout Win Over LMU (pageviews: 430)
- Game Night Live Rewind: Top Plays From Final Week Of Boys Hoops' Regular Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 369)
- Jazz C Rudy Gobert Blocks Dunk Attempt By Hornets Rookie LaMelo Ball - KSL Sports (pageviews: 336)
- Why Do The Jazz Lose Games? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 318)