Report: Jacksonville Jaguars Plan To Meet With Former Utes Head Coach Urban Meyer
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Jacksonville Jaguars plan to meet with former Utah Utes head football coach Urban Meyer regarding the team’s head coaching vacancy, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport.
The Jaguars fired Doug Marrone as head coach after finishing the 2020 regular season with a league-worst 1-15 record.
“The #Jaguars plan to meet with Urban Meyer today to continue discussing the team’s head coaching vacancy, sources tell me and @RapSheet,” Pelissero tweeted on Friday, January 8. “No deal is imminent and the team has at least one other interview scheduled. But an important step in the process.”
“The #Jaguars and Urban Meyer have been in communication recently. But an in-person meeting can accelerate everything,” Rapoport posted.
On January 2, one day prior to the final day of the 2020 regular season, Rapoport reported that Meyer was “lining up a staff” and “expects to land” with Jacksonville.
Meyer last coached at Ohio State in January 2019.
Since leaving the Buckeyes, the former Utah coach has been a college football analyst for FOX Sports.
NFL teams show interest in Urban Meyer
On Sunday, December 27, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that at least two NFL teams had contacted the three-time national championship-winning head coach.
“At least two NFL teams have reached out to Urban Meyer to see whether the former Ohio State coach would be interested in interviewing for — if not accepting — a head-coaching job at the next level, league sources told ESPN,” Schefter wrote. “Meyer, according to a source connected to one of those teams, did not dismiss the overtures and is considering whether to make the jump to the NFL. He intends to decide in the next week, before the NFL regular season is over, and teams expect to hear his decision in the coming days.”
NFL Head Coach Openings
The following NFL teams currently have head coach vacancies:
- Atlanta Falcons
- Detroit Lions
- Houston Texans
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Los Angeles Chargers
- New York Jets
“Sources who have spoken to Meyer believe he wants to make sure that, if he decides to make the jump to the NFL, he is prepared to fully immerse himself in a new world,” Schefter added.
Urban Meyer as a head coach
Meyer served as Utah’s head coach from 2003-04 and led the Utes to a 22-2 record in two seasons.
After his time in Salt Lake City, he went on to coach Florida to a pair of titles before taking a job with the Buckeyes. Meyer won a title with Ohio State in 2014.
During his time as head coach at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State, Meyer had a record of 187-32.
- Shaq Doesn't Like Painting Of Donovan Mitchell Dunking On Him - KSL Sports (pageviews: 6097)
- Steve Kerr Thinks Jazz Are Where Warriors Were 'Three Or Four Years Ago' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2413)
- Donovan Mitchell Responds To Shaq; Media, Celebrities React - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1698)
- Utah Gymnast Fighting To Make Olympic Trials After Bout With COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1631)
- Jimmer Fredette Continues To Ball Out In China, Drops 70 Points - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1268)
- Jazz Obliterate The Warriors On Historic Night - KSL Sports (pageviews: 977)
- Local NFL Players, Coaches Participating In Super Bowl LV On February 7 (pageviews: 914)
- BYU Guard Alex Barcello Loses Part Of Tooth During Pepperdine Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 865)
- NFL Star JJ Watt Praises Former BYU TE Matt Bushman For Creating Foundation - KSL Sports (pageviews: 717)