Utah QB Cameron Rising Out For Season After Suffering Injury Against USC
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham announced that sophomore quarterback Cameron Rising will miss the remainder of the season.
Rising suffered an injury in the second quarter of Utah’s 33-17 loss to the USC Trojans on Saturday, November 21. The California native dropped back to pass and was sacked by USC and fumbled the ball. As he reached for the football on the ground, he suffered the injury.
“Biggest loss is Cam Rising, it looks like he is done for the season at least that’s what has been indicated to me barring a miracle,” Whittingham told the media on Tuesday morning. “He’s not going to be back with us. So we move forward and Jake Bentley is our guy and we’ll just continue to get ready and and go through the season.”
Rising Out For Season
It’s disappointing to lose Rising for the season because he worked his way up to being the starter. After transferring to Utah from Texas in 2018, Rising was forced to sit out for the 2019 season due to NCAA rules. The Utes put Rising on the scout team offense where he faced Utah’s No. 1 defense all week during practice.
Rising finished the game going 3-of-6 passing for 45 yards, one interception and the fumble before the injury.
Bentley Now The Starter
Jake Bentley is a graduate transfer from South Carolina. He started 34 games for the Gamecocks from 2016-19. The senior threw for 7,527 yards and 55 touchdowns for his former team.
“He’s got 30 plus SEC starts under his belt and performed very well in the SEC. So it’s not like it’s an unknown commodity,” Whittingham mentioned. “We can build the offense around Jake now and his skill set away we go. We feel very fortunate that he’s with us, and we expect him to get the job done.”
Against USC on Saturday, Bentley went 16-of-28 passing for 171 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.
Utah is scheduled to play the Arizona State Sun Devils on Sunday, November 29. Kickoff time and broadcast information should be announced in the coming days.
- Instant Replay: Tom Brady Throws TD Pass To Drew Brees' Son After Beating Dad In NFL Playoffs (pageviews: 8592)
- Saints List QB Taysom Hill As 'Inactive' For NFC Divisional Round Against Buccaneers (pageviews: 6703)
- San Francisco 49ers Sign Former BYU Lineman Corbin Kaufusi (pageviews: 2422)
- Former Weber State Star Taron Johnson Ties NFL Postseason Record In Divisional Round Win (pageviews: 2316)
- Former BYU RB Jamaal Williams Helps Packers Run Into NFC Championship Game (pageviews: 2075)
- Utah State Releases Findings Of Investigation Into Comments Made By USU President About Frank Maile - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1477)
- BYU Basketball Takes On San Francisco Seeking Another Resume Building Win - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1391)
- Saints List QB Taysom Hill As 'Questionable' For NFC Divisional Round Against Buccaneers (pageviews: 1350)
- Analysis: BYU Basketball Reveals Team Identity During Road Sweep - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1067)