COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Instant Replay: Tulsa Forces OT With Hail Mary, Defeats Tulane On Pick-Six

Nov 19, 2020, 10:34 PM | Updated: 10:36 pm
Tulsa Football Hail Mary...
TAMPA, FLORIDA - OCTOBER 23: Zaven Collins #23 of the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (center) celebrates with teammates after intercepting Noah Johnson #0 of the South Florida Bulls and running in a 38-yard touchdown during the third quarter at Raymond James Stadium on October 23, 2020 in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by Julio Aguilar/Getty Images)
(Photo by Julio Aguilar/Getty Images)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The No. 25 ranked Tulsa Golden Hurricane needed a hail mary and a pick-six to defeat Tulane on Thursday night.

If you missed it, this is why we do the “Instant Replay” here on KSL Sports. Getting you up to speed on anything you might have missed.

Tulsa Hail Mary

Down 21-14 with three seconds to go in regulation, Tulsa chucks a hail mary that ends up getting caught by Juan Carlos Santana for a touchdown to send the game into overtime.

Pick-Six for the win!

The madness didn’t stop there for the Golden Hurricane. In double overtime, with the game tied at 24, Tulsa’s star linebacker Zaven Collins, a future NFL Draft pick, picked off Tulane QB Michael Pratt and took it to the house for a 97-yard pick-six to give Tulsa the 30-24 win.

With the win, Tulsa improves to 5-1 on the season. But more importantly, 5-0 in American Athletic Conference play. The Golden Hurricane still has a game at home coming up on Dec. 4 against No. 7 Cincinnati. If Tulsa wins out, they could rise the rankings and earn the automatic Group of 5 spot to the New Year’s Six.

According to ESPN’s win probability metrics, measured in real-time, Tulane had a 98.1 percent chance of winning against Tulsa before the Hail Mary at the end of regulation. That means the Golden Hurricane had a 1.9 percent chance of pulling off a victory. To do it with a hail mary and then a pick-six makes this game one of the top finishes in what has been a wild and crazy 2020 college football season.

Tulsa improves to 5-1, and Tulane drops to 5-5 and 2-5 in AAC play with the loss.

College Football

George Kliavkoff - Pac-12 Media Day...
Michelle Bodkin

Report: Could The Pac-12 Be Seriously Looking To Add SMU, SDSU?

Another day, another chapter in the world of Pac-12 expansion with the latest word being there is serious exploration of SMU and SDSU.
1 day ago
ESPN College Football, Greg McElroy, BYU...
Mitch Harper

ESPN College Football Analyst Weighs In On BYU’s First Big 12 Schedule

The Big 12 schedule brought out some takes from a prominent ESPN personality.
1 day ago
BYU Football, Kevin Doe, PWO...
Mitch Harper

BYU Football Excited For Talented Preferred Walk-On Class

To go along with BYU's scholarship commitments, the Cougars also added numerous preferred walk-on commits for the class of 2023.
2 days ago
Cam Rising - Dalton Kincaid - Utah Utes - Colorado Buffaloes...
Michelle Bodkin

Cam Mellor Shares Some Thoughts On Utah Football NFL Hopefuls

Cam Mellor joined DJ & PK to discuss some thoughts on Utah football NFL hopefuls Dalton Kincaid and Tavion Thomas.
2 days ago
Sol-Jay Maiava-Peters, BYU Football...
Mitch Harper

BYU’s Sol-Jay Maiava-Peters Makes Position Change For 2023 Season

One of BYU's quarterbacks is switching positions.
2 days ago
Maile-OKeefe-Gets-Perfect-10-On-Beam-Against-UCLA...
Michelle Bodkin

Utes Bulletin: Things Happening In Utah Athletics (Week Of 2/6/23)

Several of the smaller sports are having success, so we thought a one-stop-shop for Utah info might be helpful with the Utes Bulletin.
2 days ago

Sponsored Articles

High angle view of the beautiful Rose Bowl Stadium...
KSL Digital Sales

How to Prepare for the 2023 Rose Bowl

Everything you need to know to plan your 2023 Rose Bowl trip in Pasadena, California. This year, the Utes will face Penn State.
Jordan-Clarkson-Utah-Jazz...
KSL Digital Sales

Notable Moments From The Utah Jazz Season… So Far

At the beginning of the season, the Utah Jazz were second to last. Now they rank in the top 10 teams in the Western Conference.
Football soccer ball on grass field on stadium...
KSL Digital Sales

Everything You Need to Know to Watch the 2022 World Cup

Find out where and when to watch the upcoming games and final match for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, including where to find live updates.
ksl sports logos...
KSL Sports

KSL Sports Newsletter: Sign Up Now

Sign up today for the KSL Sports newsletter. Get the latest Utah sports news delivered to your inbox.
jimmy-buffett-tour-art...
KSL Sports

Win Tickets Wednesday: Jimmy Buffett

Get your Hawaiian shirts ready.
Iron Maiden tour...
KSL Sports

Win Tickets Wednesday: Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden returns to Utah in 2022 with The Legacy of the Beast tour.
Instant Replay: Tulsa Forces OT With Hail Mary, Defeats Tulane On Pick-Six