Utah Football To Start Season With Running Back By Committee Approach
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – For the first time in a long time, Utah football will start a season with multiple running backs.
For what has seemed like a decade of Utah having a lead running back each year, the Utes will go into the 2020 season with more than one running back getting the workload according to head coach Kyle Whittingham.
“They’ve separated themselves in different ways,” Whittingham said. “Each of them have different strengths it is going to be more by committee at least early in the season, unless through a lot of live repetition, somebody starts to separate himself and deserve more reps. But right now each of them does something particularly well as opposed to the other. What play calling is gonna have will determine what back in the game.
The Utes have benefited greatly from running backs in their history. Zack Moss is the all-time leading rusher in school history, Joe Williams, Devontae Booker, John White IV are some of the great rushers to come through the program over the last 10 years.
Four guys on the 2020 roster will split game reps. Those running backs include junior Devin Brumfield, sophomore Jordan Wilmore, redshirt freshman Micah Bernard and true freshman Ty Jordan.
“I’m not going to go through their strengths right here because why tip off Arizona for whatever back is in the game to what to expect. One of them is exceptional inside the tackle runner, one is an exceptional receiver out of the backfield. One has got elusive speed. There’s just a lot of strengths that each of them possess and they’re different,” Whittingham stated. “The four backs all of them, there’s no similarities, really, between each one. Each one of them is unique and different in their style and what they bring to the table. Bottom line is we don’t anticipate a guy getting 25 touches in a game not yet anyway, that could play itself out and become a different situation after a game or two. But going in it’s going to be more by committee and inserting the back that fits what Andy (Ludwig) is doing in that particular series or that particular play.”
- BYU TE Matt Bushman Unveils Alternate Black Uniforms For SDSU Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 4500)
- ESPN Misses Utes' Series As Camera Feeds Go Offline During USC/Utah Game (pageviews: 3860)
- BYU Guard Jake Toolson Plans To Sign With Utah Jazz - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3263)
- With No South End-Zone Where Will Utes, Trojans Dress Prior To Kick Off? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2115)
- Utah Jazz Players React To Reported Signings Of Jordan Clarkson, Derrick Favors (pageviews: 1860)
- No. 8 BYU Steamrolls North Alabama, Improves To 9-0 (pageviews: 1420)
- Reports: Washington Reached Out To BYU To Play, Cougars Wanted Firm Commitment - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1406)
- Utah QB Jake Bentley Replaces Cam Rising Following Apparent Injury Against USC (pageviews: 1260)
- Saints QB Taysom Hill Completes Career-Long Pass On TD Drive Against Falcons (pageviews: 1236)