Alex Smith Moves Up Depth Chart As Washington Football Team Makes Change At QB
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Alex Smith has moved into the two-deep on the Washington Football Team’s depth chart after head coach Ron Rivera announced that Kyle Allen will replace Dwayne Haskins as the teams starting quarterback.
Smith, 36, began the season third on the depth chart behind Haskins and Allen. However, following the benching of Haskins, Smith will now play the role of backup.
If Smith can continue to climb the depth chart and eventually find himself as the starting quarterback for Washington again, it would mark one of the greatest comeback stories the world has ever seen.
On November 18th against the Houston Texans, Smith suffered a spiral and compound fracture to his tibia and fibula in his right leg when he sacked by Kareem Jackson and J.J. Watt. Following the initial surgery, Smith developed life-threatening complications due to an infection. The complications resulted in 17 more surgeries and a 9-month hospital stay. Doctors at one-point believed the only way to save Alex Smith’s life would be to amputate his right leg above the knee.
However, as a last gasp effort, Smith underwent a surgery in which surgeons performed skin grafts and took muscle from his left quadricep to save his right leg. The surgery was a success.
He was later cleared by his doctors to resume football activities in July of 2020 before being activated to the 53 man roster in August of 2020.
- BYU Basketball's Gavin Baxter To Have MRI On Injured Knee - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2951)
- Former BYU Forward Yoeli Childs Officially Signs With Washington Wizards (pageviews: 1169)
- BYU's Matt Haarms Will Be Game-Time Decision For New Orleans (pageviews: 1074)
- Utah Jazz Officially Sign Former BYU Guard Jake Toolson (pageviews: 1072)
- Donovan Mitchell: Contract 'A Relief', Wants Championship In Utah - KSL Sports (pageviews: 849)
- Podcasts Archives - KSL Sports (pageviews: 779)
- Donovan Mitchell Keeps Tweeting At The Uno People - KSL Sports (pageviews: 728)
- Four-Star Timpview DE Logan Fano Commits To BYU Over Utah, Washington - KSL Sports (pageviews: 667)
- Former Ute Garett Bolles Signs Four-Year Contract Extension With Denver Broncos (pageviews: 652)