NBA Draft Officially Rescheduled For November 18
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – After several months of rumors, the NBA draft is once again on the move. Last week ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the NBA and the league’s Players Association are working rescheduling the draft to November 18 after originally rescheduling the event for October 16. Now, the November 18 date is official.
The draft traditionally takes place in late June, but was delayed along with the rest of the NBA season amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“The National Basketball Association announced today that the date of the NBA DRaft 2020 presented by State Farm has been moved to Wednesday, Nov 18 and will air on ESPN,” the league announced. “The date remains subject to change as circumstances warrant.”
“The revised date allows additional time to conduct the 2020pre-draft process, gather more information about the potential start date for the 20-21 season and advance conversations between the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association regarding related Collective Bargaining Agreement matters.”
In light of the pandemic, the league and the NBAPA have been forced to negotiate a series of important issues, including the league’s salary cap. With the playoffs set to end by October 13, the league would have had only three days to tally the final accounting numbers for the season and relay that information to the teams.
As the future salary cap changes, so too may the strategies of teams drafting in the first round. Some teams may prefer to avoid adding guaranteed salaries with a first-round draft pick, while others may prefer to move into the first round of the draft to find cost-controlled deals.
“A significant part of why teams wanted that draft pushed back — in this case, likely a month to November 18 — was to allow the NBA and NBPA more time to negotiate the new salary cap numbers for 2020-2021,” Wojnarowski said. “Teams need those figures to be able to conduct trades around the draft.”
The Utah Jazz own the 23rd pick in the upcoming draft, their only selection in either the first or second round.
The league hopes to host virtual a pre-draft combine for teams to analyze the draft prospects ahead of the draft.
- Utah Company Not Renewing Jazz Suite After Racial Equality Protests - KSL Sports (pageviews: 8117)
- Utah Company Not Renewing Jazz Suite After Racial Equality Protests - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3786)
- BYU Announces Partnership With Opendorse To Create Name, Image, And Likeness Program - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1729)
- BYU's Matt Haarms Appears On Top College Basketball Players List - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1658)
- BYU Announces Partnership With Opendorse To Create Name, Image, And Likeness Program - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1641)
- Three Observations From BYU’s Big Win Over Troy - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1596)
- ESPN's College GameDay Makes Predictions For No. 18 BYU Against Troy - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1192)
- ESPN's College GameDay Makes Predictions For No. 18 BYU Against Troy - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1032)
- Utah Company Not Renewing Jazz Suite After Racial Equality Protests - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1028)