Report: NBA Rescheduling Draft In November
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – After several months of rumors, it appears the NBA draft is once again on the move. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the NBA and the league’s Players Association are working rescheduling the draft to November 18 after originally rescheduling the event for October 16.
The draft traditionally takes place in late June, but was delayed along with the rest of the NBA season amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“The league has informed teams of a potential revised 2020 NBA Draft date of November 18, sources tell ESPN,” Wojnarowski tweeted. “The NBA and NBPA have been negotiating on that new date.”
In light of the pandemic, the league and the NBAPA have been forced to negotiate a series of important issues, including the league’s salary cap. With the playoffs set to end by October 13, the league would have had only three days to tally the final accounting numbers for the season and relay that information to the teams.
As the future salary cap changes, so too may the strategies of teams drafting in the first round. Some teams may prefer to avoid adding guaranteed salaries with a first-round draft pick, while others may prefer to move into the first round of the draft to find cost-controlled deals.
“A significant part of why teams wanted that draft pushed back — in this case, likely a month to November 18 — was to allow the NBA and NBPA more time to negotiate the new salary cap numbers for 2020-2021,” Wojnarowski said. “Teams need those figures to be able to conduct trades around the draft.”
The Utah Jazz own the 23rd pick in the upcoming draft, their only selection in either the first or second round.
The league hopes to host virtual a pre-draft combine for teams to analyze the draft prospects ahead of the draft.
- Charles Barkley, Shaq: Donovan Mitchell Has 'Zero Impact' On Game Except Scoring (pageviews: 21278)
- Donovan Mitchell Responds To Shaq; Media, Celebrities React - KSL Sports (pageviews: 12642)
- BYU Basketball Receives Waiver For Westminster Transfer Brandon Warr - KSL Sports (pageviews: 4208)
- Malone: Stockton Was 'Tough As A Pair Of Leather Boots' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2278)
- BYU/Pepperdine: How To Watch, Listen, Or Stream At Tip-Off - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2216)
- Utah Jazz Guard Donovan Mitchell Breaks Ankles As He Lights Up Pelicans To Start Game (pageviews: 1665)
- Non Superstar Mitchell Leads Jazz To Seventh Straight Win - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1324)
- Donovan Mitchell Fastest Player In NBA History To Hit 600 Threes - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1308)
- BYU Guard Alex Barcello Loses Part Of Tooth During Pepperdine Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1037)