NBA Celebrates 24th Birthday Of Donovan Mitchell
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The NBA made a special note to Donovan Mitchell to celebrate the guard’s 24th birthday. The Utah Jazz guard turns 24 on the heels of perhaps his biggest breakout performance since entering the league three years ago. Mitchell averaged a league-best 36.3 points per game, five rebounds, 4.9 assists while shooting a staggering 52.9 percent from the floor and 51.6 percent from the three-point line. Despite the guard’s brilliance, the Jazz were eliminated in seven games by the Denver Nuggets.
The NBA made a special seven and a half minute-long video celebrating the 24 best plays of Mitchell’s short career as the guard has transcended from a late lottery pick to burgeoning superstar.
Best Moments From Mitchell In The NBA
The highlight package is filled with some of the best moments from Mitchell’s career. Though the video doesn’t rank the plays in order, we pulled a few of our favorites from the package.
5. With time winding down in the first half against the Dallas Mavericks, Mitchell took on superstar rookie Luka Doncic and finished with authority at the rim. The Jazz guard blew past Doncic and dunked on Maxi Kleber just before the buzzer sounded.
4. Mitchell has always had a flair for the dramatic, especially in the playoffs. After dropping game one as a rookie against the Houston Rockets, Mitchell bounced back with a special performance on the road in game two of the series with a remarkable putback dunk that proved Mitchell was more than a contest dunker.
3. After a tremendous summer league performance, Mitchell struggled mightily early in his rookie season. After a string of poor shooting performances, the Jazz guard seemed to expel his demons with one monstrous throwdown against the Los Angeles Lakers and hasn’t seemed to slow down since.
2. There are only supposed to be two ways to get separation with a basketball in your hand. Change of speed and change of direction. But Mitchell found a third when he changed Los Angeles Clippers guard Landry Shamet’s zip code on this crossover.
1. Some plays are orchestrated greatness. But the best plays come straight off the cuff, full of raw skill and improvisation. The audacity to even attempt this shot might get others pulled from a game, but Mitchell made it look easy.
Make sure to send a very happy birthday to Donovan Mitchell who has given more than his fair share of gifts to Jazz fans over the last three seasons.