Many Locals Receive Practice Squad Spots With NFL Teams
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Many of the local football players with ties to the state of Utah have received practice squad roster spots with NFL teams.
NFL squads had to trim their training camp roster to 53 players on Saturday. Many of those players that didn’t make the 53-man roster were either claimed off of waivers or signed to the practice squad.
The NFL originally allowed 10 players on the practice squad. They increased the number to 12 beginning this year but because of COVID-19, the league is allowing teams to have 16 players on their practice squad.
Here is the list currently of local NFL players that were either claimed off of waivers or signed to a practice squad.
Former Utah Utes
- Tyler Huntley, QB, Baltimore Ravens – Despite having a strong performance in training camp, Tyler Huntley was released on Saturday. He had other practice squad offers but decided to stay in Baltimore.
- Francis Bernard, LB, Dallas Cowboys – Bernard was released on Saturday. After clearing waivers, he signed with the Cowboys’ practice squad.
- Darrin Paulo, OL, Denver Broncos – Paulo was originally with New Orleans before being waived by the Saints. He signed with the Broncos during training camp. After getting released on Saturday, Paulo cleared waivers and signed with the Broncos’ practice squad.
- Jackson Barton, OT, New York Giants – The Kansas City Chiefs waived Barton on Saturday. On Sunday, he was claimed off of waivers by the New York Giants.
- Javelin Guidry, CB, New York Jets – After signing with the Jets as an undrafted free agent, Javelin Guidry was released on Saturday. The Jets signed him to the practice squad after he cleared waivers.
- Nate Orchard, DE, Washington Football Team – Orchard signed with Washington earlier in the off-season but was waived on Saturday. He cleared waivers and is now on the practice squad.
- Jared Norris, LB, Washington Football Team – Norris was a training camp player for Washington but did not make the 53-man roster. He cleared waivers and signed with their practice squad.
Former Utah State Aggies
- Tipa Galeai, DE, Green Bay Packers – After getting cut on Saturday, Galeai has signed with the Packers’ practice squad.
- Dominik Eberle, K, Las Vegas Raiders – After being released from the Raiders a couple of weeks ago, Eberle was signed to the Raiders’ practice squad.
Former BYU Cougars
- Ty’Son Williams, RB, Baltimore Ravens – After signing with the Ravens as a free agent, Williams was waived on Saturday. He was signed to the practice squad after clearing waivers.
- Bronson Kaufusi, TE, New York Jets – Kaufusi was waived on Saturday but brought back to the Jets on their practice squad.
- Corbin Kaufusi, OL, New York Jets – Like his brother Bronson, Corbin Kaufusi was also waived on Saturday and brought back by the Jets on their practice squad once he cleared waivers.
Former Weber State Wildcats
- Jonah Williams, DE, Los Angeles Rams – After signing with the Rams as an undrafted free agent, Williams was waived on Saturday. On Sunday, he signed with the Rams’ practice squad.
- Sua Opeta, OL, Philadelphia Eagles – Opeta was released on Saturday by the Eagles but signed with their practice squad on Sunday after clearing waivers.
Former High School Standouts
- Noah Togiai, TE, Indianapolis Colts – The former Hunter Wolverine and Oregon State star was waived by the Philadelphia Eagles. The Colts claimed him off of waivers on Sunday.
BYU Cougars Scoreboard
BYU Cougars Team Leaders
BYU Cougars Standings