Utah Jazz Eliminated From NBA Playoffs By Denver Nuggets In Game Seven Loss
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Denver Nuggets eliminated the Utah Jazz from the NBA Playoffs with a win in game seven to clinch the first-round best-of-seven series four games to three.
The Jazz fell to the Nuggets 80-78 in Game 7 on Tuesday, September 1.
After trailing by 14 points at halftime, the Jazz responded in the third quarter to make it a two possession game entering the final 12 minutes.
With less than 17.4 seconds remaining and the Nuggets owning a two-point lead, Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell received an inbound pass and went to attack Denver’s defense. Nuggets guard Gary Harris poked the ball away from Mitchell and the Denver went the other way.
Utah’s defensive forced a missed layup by Torrey Craig with 4.4 seconds left on the clock. Jazz guard Mike Conley rose up for the potential series-winning basket on a 26-foot three that rimmed out at the final buzzer sounded.
“Honestly, I felt very good about,” Conley said of his potential game-winner. “I thought for sure it was going in.”
After falling in overtime 135-125 to Denver in Game 1 of the series, Utah responded with three straight victories to take a 3-1 series lead.
Following three straight losses, Denver responded with three consecutive victories of their own and won the series 4-3 with a Game 7 victory.
“Just devastated really,” Jazzman Joe Ingles said after the loss.
With the loss, the Jazz failed to advance to the Western Conference Semifinals for the second straight postseason.
The Jazz reached the second round of the postseason in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons but fell to the Houston Rockets in five games last season.
Prior to the NBA Playoffs, the No. 6 seed Jazz finished the regular season with a 44-28 record.
First Round Results
Game 1: Denver won 135-125 OT
Game 2: Utah won 124-105
Game 3: Utah won 124-87
Game 4: Utah won 129-127
Game 5: Denver won 117-107
Game 6: Denver won 119-107
Game 7: Denver won 80-78
The Nuggets will face the No. 2 seed Los Angeles Clippers in the Western Conference Semifinals.
The No. 2 seed Clippers defeated the No. 7 seed Mavericks 4-2 in the first round.
Utah will leave the NBA bubble in Florida and return to Salt Lake City.
- Charles Barkley, Shaq: Donovan Mitchell Has 'Zero Impact' On Game Except Scoring (pageviews: 20403)
- Donovan Mitchell Responds To Shaq; Media, Celebrities React - KSL Sports (pageviews: 10669)
- Page not found - KSL Sports (pageviews: 5595)
- BYU Basketball Receives Waiver For Westminster Transfer Brandon Warr - KSL Sports (pageviews: 4048)
- Report: Japan 'Privately Concludes' Tokyo Olympics Will Be Canceled Due To Coronavirus (pageviews: 3668)
- Malone: Stockton Was 'Tough As A Pair Of Leather Boots' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3572)
- BYU/Portland: How To Watch, Listen, Or Stream At Tip-Off - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2130)
- Donovan Mitchell Fastest Player In NBA History To Hit 600 Threes - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1328)
- Early Look At Returning Leaders For BYU Football In 2021 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1163)
- Non Superstar Mitchell Leads Jazz To Seventh Straight Win - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1066)