Tony Finau Eyes PGA Championship As TPC Harding Park Looms
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The first major of the season is upon us, the PGA Championship looms as the most anticipated golf event since the return of golf. TPC Harding Park, nestled in the corner of San Fransisco, will host as Salt Lake City native, Tony Finau, looks to secure his first major tournament victory.
Finau’s best finish at the PGA Championship came in 2015 when he finished in a tie for 10th. However, recently Finau has been knocking on the door of becoming a major championship winner with fifth and third-place finishes at the 2019 Masters and Open Championship respectively.
Searching For A Caddie
In 2020, Finau finished second at the Waste Management Phoenix Open and in a tie for third at the 3M Open two weeks ago. He is playing some of the best golf of his career despite struggling to find a full-time caddie.
Three weeks ago, Finau entered the final round of the Memorial Tournament a few shots behind eventual winner Jon Rahm, however, a plus-six final round plummeted Finau into eight place by tournament end. Following the Memorial, Finau parted ways with long-time caddie Greg Boldine stating “yeah, I think me and my caddie and I had a great run. We were together for six years and it’s a tough thing, you know. On a personal level I love the guy and on a business level I felt it was time for a change in my situation and something just different.”
Finau’s swing coach Boyd Summerhays took over the caddie duties at the 3M Open, it was then reported that Finau would look to his brother, Gipper Finau, to fill-in while Finau found a full-time replacement. However, last week at the St. Jude Invitational, Finau opted for veteran caddie Mark Urbanek instead.
TPC Harding Park was founded in 1925 and is named after the 29th President of the United States of America, Warren G. Harding. In August of 1923, Harding suffered a heart attack and passed away in San Fransisco. Harding was an avid golfer and when TPC Harding Park was founded, calls came in to name San Fransisco’s newest golf course after the Harding.
Play begins on Thursday with the field to be cut in half following Friday’s round.
Golf content on KSLSports.com is sponsored by Heber Valley Golf Courses.
Tom Hackett is a Utah and Real Salt Lake Insider for KSLsports.com and host of the It’s Utah’s World Podcast (Utah Football themed) and The Lion’s Den Podcast (Real Salt Lake themed). Follow him on Twitter: @TomCantHackett.
- Three Observations From BYU’s Big Win Over Troy - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2662)
- Pollsters Reward BYU Football's Dominance As Cougars Remain In Top 25 Rankings - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2131)
- ESPN's College GameDay Makes Predictions For No. 18 BYU Against Troy - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1251)
- ESPN's College GameDay Makes Predictions For No. 18 BYU Against Troy - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1099)
- Three Observations From BYU’s Big Win Over Troy - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1099)
- Pros & Cons Of Pac-12, MWC Returning To Play For BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 981)
- Sen. Mitt Romney Picks Sides In BYU-Utah Rivalry - KSL Sports (pageviews: 959)
- Pros & Cons Of Pac-12, MWC Returning To Play For BYU Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 956)
- Pollsters Reward BYU Football's Dominance As Cougars Remain In Top 25 Rankings - KSL Sports (pageviews: 907)