Report: Pac-12 Planning On 10-Game Conference-Only Schedule Beginning Mid-September
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Pac-12 will be moving forward with a 10-game conference-only schedule for football that will begin in the middle of September.
Pac-12 Insider Jon Wilner of the Bay Area News Group received details from sources that are familiar with the plan.
According to Wilner, the conference is planning a fairly aggressive approach that spans a maximum of 14 weeks.
Start Date, Opponents
The conference is assuming some success in the next month or two against the coronavirus which is why they are planning on starting the season on September 19, which would have been the third week of the college football season.
Wilner noted that the Pac-12 will play 10 games, playing all five of their division opponents and five opponents from the other division. It’s been reported that Utah will add Oregon to their schedule. If the conference sticks to the original conference schedule while adding one of the two schools that wasn’t originally on the schedule, the Utes won’t play Stanford in the regular season.
Pac-12 teams would not start training camp until the middle of August. Each team will have two bye weeks that are built into their schedule which would create windows for games that cannot be played as scheduled.
Wilner reported that the Pac-12 is allowing for a cushion in early December, at the end of the regular season.
The Pac-12 championship game was scheduled for Friday, December 4 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada. According to Wilner, that date remains an option under “a best-case scenario.”
If any of the games have to be pushed back and played at the end of the regular season, the championship game will be moved. It could be played the weekend of December 11-12 or 18-19. The 18th or 19th is a concern with the conference because any teams that are playing in any New Year’s Day bowl games or the College Football Playoff, those schools will only have two weeks to prepare rather than one month.
When the Pac-12 announced on July 10 that they would move to a conference-only schedule for fall sports, they stated that they would have schedule details out no later than July 31.
- 32 Utah Jazz Free Agent Targets - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3783)
- 32 Utah Jazz Free Agent Targets - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2417)
- 32 Utah Jazz Free Agent Targets - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1208)
- 2020 BYU Football Opponent Tracker: Season-Openers Highlight Week Three - KSL Sports (pageviews: 712)
- Mark Pope Wants BYU Basketball To Have Hardest Schedule They Can Possibly Play - KSL Sports (pageviews: 663)
- Top 10 Utah Jazz Free Agency Targets - KSL Sports (pageviews: 568)
- Top 10 Utah Jazz Free Agency Targets - KSL Sports (pageviews: 552)
- Timpview Prospect Jake Wahlin Couldn't Ignore His 'BYU Blood' In Commitment To Cougars - KSL Sports (pageviews: 544)
- Game Night Live - KSL Sports (pageviews: 537)