Urban Meyer Doesn’t Think ‘There Is Any Chance’ Of College Football Being Played In Spring
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Former Utah head coach Urban Meyer doesn’t think there is a chance that the college football season will be moved to the spring.
Although the Ivy League and the NJCAA has moved their football season to the spring, Meyer doesn’t see it happening in Division I FBS.
Meyer shared his thoughts on that and many other topics on the Crimson Corner podcast. You can listen to the full interview, below.
No Chance Of Playing In Spring
When Meyer was asked if college football could be played in the spring, he didn’t hesitate with his response.
“I don’t think there’s any chance and when a season’s over if a player plays 1,000 reps, that’s a lot of football,” Meyer told KSL Sports. “Your body, their shoulders, your neck, you’re just fatigued especially the high contact positions. Those players I would not make them do a lot during spring practice because their bodies aren’t fully healed from the wear and tear of a season.”
Spring football practices and scrimmages are ways to get players to fully recover from the regular season while also developing young talent and preparing them for the fall.
“So from January until March, when you have spring practice, you have to let those bodies heal up. Then in spring practice, you’re practicing every other day, not full contact, not like a game, not those practices every day,” Meyer said. “So I can’t see how you do that. Then you play a schedule in the spring when you’re going to go back and do it again in the fall? So you’re going to play 2,000 reps within like one calendar year. You’re not going to do that. I can’t see that happening just because the nature of the sport of football.”
The Utes had just three spring football practices before the coronavirus outbreak shut down the rest of spring ball and the annual red vs. white spring game. Recently, the Pac-12 announced that they will be going to a conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.
- Report: Big Ten Conference Cancels 2020 Football Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 3960)
- Tom Holmoe Sends Message To BYU Ticket Holders Amid Uncertainty With Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1559)
- Report: Power 5 Conference Commissioners Discussing No Football In Fall - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1518)
- Dixie State Football Team Pulls Woman To Safety After Her Hair Gets Caught In Rappelling Rope - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1352)
- No Utah State Football: Mountain West Cancels Falls Sports (pageviews: 1095)
- BYU Installs New Splash Shield On Helmets To Prevent Spread Of COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 682)
- BYU Installs New Splash Shield On Helmets To Prevent Spread Of COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 617)
- Trump, Coaches Push For College Football As Cracks Emerge - KSL Sports (pageviews: 546)
- Tom Holmoe Sends Message To BYU Ticket Holders Amid Uncertainty With Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 543)