Lone Peak Amateur Berlin Long Ready To Impress In 114th Utah Women’s State Amateur
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – 16-year-old Lone Peak High School amateur Berlin Long is competing for the first time in the 114th Utah Women’s State Amateur at Soldier Hollow Golf Course in Heber Valley, Utah.
Long, who is currently ranked as the 214th best women’s amateur, according to the American Junior Golf Association, has remarkably never competed in the Utah Women’s State Amateur. She is, however, very familiar with the Soldier Hollow Golf Course layout after breaking the Soldier Hollow women’s competitive record last year, she shot a 62 during the final day of the Utah Junior PGA Championship.
The bogey-free round of 62 included two chip-ins, both resulting in eagles. Despite starting the day seven shots behind the leader, Long would prevail by one stroke to win the illustrious amateur tournament.
In 2015, Long was invited to The Masters where she competed in the acclaimed Drive, Chip & Putt tournament, “a free nationwide junior golf development competition aimed at growing the game by focusing on the three fundamental skills employed in golf.”
Although she did not fair as well as she was hoping for, the experience at Augusta National Golf Club was worth its weight in gold.
This week, Long will compete against the best women golfers in the state of Utah at the 114th Utah Women’s State Amateur. Monday and Tuesday will consist of qualifying rounds, while Wednesday and Thursday, assuming she qualifies will consist of the knockout rounds.
“She does not get nervous, she never has, which is what I think makes her so good,” Courtney Long, Berlin’s mother, said.
You can follow the action of the 114th Utah Women’s State Amateur by clicking here.
Golf stories on KSLSports.com are brought to you by Heber Valley Golf Courses.
Tom Hackett is a Utah and Real Salt Lake Insider for KSLsports.com and host of the It’s Utah’s World Podcast (Utah Football themed) and The Lion’s Den Podcast (Real Salt Lake themed). Follow him on Twitter: @TomCantHackett.
- Tom Holmoe Sends Message To BYU Ticket Holders Amid Uncertainty With Season - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2077)
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1982)
- Bingham Football Game Against Weber Canceled After Miner Players Test Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 1411)
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1295)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 888)
- Western Conference Playoffs Outlook After Jazz Tank Vs. Mavs - KSL Sports (pageviews: 705)
- BYU Announces Football Series Against Troy Trojans - KSL Sports (pageviews: 699)
- Heralded BYU Newcomer Kody Epps Already Standing Out During Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 616)
- O'Connell: Who's To Blame For The Cancellation Of College Football? Society. - KSL Sports (pageviews: 597)