Utah Royals FC Drops Final Group Match Of Challenge Cup To Red Stars
HERRIMAN, Utah – It was a heartbreaker near the end of the second half that gave the Chicago Red Stars a 1-0 win over Utah Royals FC.
It was the final group match for the Royals of the NWSL Challenge Cup. They finished the group stage with a 1-2-1 record.
Casey Short scored the game-winning goal in the 84th minute as she headed in the ball on a cross from Savannah McCaskill.
The first half was scoreless with Utah getting just two clear shots at goal that were saved. They were more aggressive in a 20 minute portion of the second half but it didn’t result in any goals scored for the home side.
Return Of Kelley O’Hara
A positive note for the Royals was getting United States Women’s National Team defender Kelley O’Hara back into the lineup. She made her NWSL Challenge Cup debut as she came on as a substitute in the 72nd minute.
O’Hara was dealing with an injury leading up to the NWSL Challenge Cup. Christen Press elected to not play in the tournament.
The Royals have finished group play and will find out who they will play in the knockout stage of the tournament in the coming days. The final two matches of group play will take place on Monday.
The OL Reign will face Portland Thorns FC at 10:00 a.m. MDT followed by Sky Blue FC and the North Carolina Courage at 8:00 p.m. MDT. Both matches can be seen on CBS All Access.
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2350)
- Bingham Football Game Against Weber Canceled After Miner Players Test Positive For COVID-19 (pageviews: 1546)
- BYU Announces Football Series Against Troy Trojans - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1502)
- With No Games Against Big 12 Teams, Where Does BYU Go From Here? - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1464)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1122)
- Dixie State Football Team Pulls Woman To Safety After Her Hair Gets Caught In Rappelling Rope - KSL Sports (pageviews: 586)
- Heralded BYU Newcomer Kody Epps Already Standing Out During Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 584)
- College Football Conferences, Teams Still Planning To Play Fall Football - KSL Sports (pageviews: 522)
- While Other Programs Shut Down, BYU Continues On With 'Lively And Enjoyable' Camp - KSL Sports (pageviews: 460)