Utah Royals FC Drops Final Group Match Of Challenge Cup To Red Stars
HERRIMAN, Utah – It was a heartbreaker near the end of the second half that gave the Chicago Red Stars a 1-0 win over Utah Royals FC.
It was the final group match for the Royals of the NWSL Challenge Cup. They finished the group stage with a 1-2-1 record.
Casey Short scored the game-winning goal in the 84th minute as she headed in the ball on a cross from Savannah McCaskill.
The first half was scoreless with Utah getting just two clear shots at goal that were saved. They were more aggressive in a 20 minute portion of the second half but it didn’t result in any goals scored for the home side.
Return Of Kelley O’Hara
A positive note for the Royals was getting United States Women’s National Team defender Kelley O’Hara back into the lineup. She made her NWSL Challenge Cup debut as she came on as a substitute in the 72nd minute.
O’Hara was dealing with an injury leading up to the NWSL Challenge Cup. Christen Press elected to not play in the tournament.
The Royals have finished group play and will find out who they will play in the knockout stage of the tournament in the coming days. The final two matches of group play will take place on Monday.
The OL Reign will face Portland Thorns FC at 10:00 a.m. MDT followed by Sky Blue FC and the North Carolina Courage at 8:00 p.m. MDT. Both matches can be seen on CBS All Access.
- Instant Replay: Tom Brady Throws TD Pass To Drew Brees' Son After Beating Dad In NFL Playoffs (pageviews: 8592)
- Saints List QB Taysom Hill As 'Inactive' For NFC Divisional Round Against Buccaneers (pageviews: 6703)
- San Francisco 49ers Sign Former BYU Lineman Corbin Kaufusi (pageviews: 2422)
- Former Weber State Star Taron Johnson Ties NFL Postseason Record In Divisional Round Win (pageviews: 2316)
- Former BYU RB Jamaal Williams Helps Packers Run Into NFC Championship Game (pageviews: 2075)
- Utah State Releases Findings Of Investigation Into Comments Made By USU President About Frank Maile - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1477)
- BYU Basketball Takes On San Francisco Seeking Another Resume Building Win - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1391)
- Saints List QB Taysom Hill As 'Questionable' For NFC Divisional Round Against Buccaneers (pageviews: 1350)
- Analysis: BYU Basketball Reveals Team Identity During Road Sweep - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1067)