Rio Tinto Stadium, Real Monarchs SLC To Host First Sporting Event With Fans In U.S. Since March 11
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Real Monarchs SLC will play at Rio Tinto Stadium on July 11 in what will be the “first professional team sporting event played in the U.S with fans in attendance since March 11,” according to a team statement.
The Monarchs are scheduled to play against San Diego Loyal SC on Saturday, July 11 at Rio Tinto Stadium, the home of MLS club Real Salt Lake, in Sandy, Utah.
According to the USL club, 5,300 fans will be allowed to attend the soccer match after the Monarchs received authorization from the state of Utah, local health authorities, and the USL.
Social distancing protocols will be implemented and in effect for those in attendance.
“Our staff has worked diligently to develop a comprehensive plan that ensures that we have a safe, healthy and fun environment for our fans while experiencing a great match at Rio Tinto Stadium,” Real Salt Lake Chief business officer Andy Carroll said. “The health and safety of our players, fans, staff and community has been the top priority throughout our process in seeking creative solutions to safely open our stadium to fans. With safe distances between seats and other safety measures in place, we are proud and excited to welcome our fans back as the Monarchs return to the field in defense of their USL Championship title. We are very grateful to the thoughtful and steady leadership that we have in Salt Lake County and throughout Utah state government in providing this opportunity.”
Prior to the scheduled match between Real Monarchs and San Diego Loyal SC, the last professional sporting event to take place with fans in attendance was an NBA game between the Denver Nuggets and Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday, March 11. In March, the coronavirus pandemic caused the sporting world to come to a halt.
According to the Real Monarchs, tickets for the match “will first be made available to season ticket members with Real Salt Lake, Real Monarchs SLC and Utah Royals FC. Remaining tickets will be made available to the general public.”
The match will kick-off a defense of a championship for the Monarchs. The Real Monarchs won the USL Championship in 2019.
San Diego Loyal SC vs. Real Monarchs will be televised on ESPN Deportes.
- Shaq Doesn't Like Painting Of Donovan Mitchell Dunking On Him - KSL Sports (pageviews: 6097)
- Steve Kerr Thinks Jazz Are Where Warriors Were 'Three Or Four Years Ago' - KSL Sports (pageviews: 2413)
- Donovan Mitchell Responds To Shaq; Media, Celebrities React - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1698)
- Utah Gymnast Fighting To Make Olympic Trials After Bout With COVID-19 - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1631)
- Jimmer Fredette Continues To Ball Out In China, Drops 70 Points - KSL Sports (pageviews: 1268)
- Jazz Obliterate The Warriors On Historic Night - KSL Sports (pageviews: 977)
- Local NFL Players, Coaches Participating In Super Bowl LV On February 7 (pageviews: 914)
- BYU Guard Alex Barcello Loses Part Of Tooth During Pepperdine Game - KSL Sports (pageviews: 865)
- NFL Star JJ Watt Praises Former BYU TE Matt Bushman For Creating Foundation - KSL Sports (pageviews: 717)